+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship-Minor

charuamit

Jul 18, 2019
Hi All,

I am applying for my citizenship this August.
Myself, husband and daughter (now 11) landed in 2016 July 1 with PR
My daughter returned to India for studies in 2018 July 26. She stayed 2 years in Canada.
Myself and my husband complete 1095 days on Aug 10.

1. Does child have 1095 days requirement?
2. Is it necessary that child be in Canada for the application? (she is studying in India)
3. Is the child required to be present for any process here?
4. Is the child's signature required anywhere?
5. Is police verification required from India? (since its home country)

alienzz-00

Star Member
May 8, 2019
Hi charuamit,

Your daughter is 11 years old. She doesn't need to meet the 1095 days requirement if you're including her application with yours. a parent needs to sign the application. Minors under the age of 14 years old don't need to appear for the oath ceremony, however in some exceptional cases they may need to be there for the interview (most minors don't need to though).

For your last question, I am not sure if you're asking for your daughter or yourselves. Minors don't need police certificates.
Adults if your time in India was before becoming a PR and have had no trips lasting 183 days or more in a row then you don't need to provide police certificates either. For your time prior to becoming PR mention it on the application and for the explanation mention that it was before landing so they don't expect a certificate from you as per the instructions
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
1. Does child have 1095 days requirement?
2. Is it necessary that child be in Canada for the application? (she is studying in India)
3. Is the child required to be present for any process here?
4. Is the child's signature required anywhere?
5. Is police verification required from India? (since its home country)
1. Yes, 2. No, 3. Not for 11 year old, 4 & 5: Go with the instructions given.
The way to get your child's citizenship without enough physical presence is to get your citizenship first and then apply for the child separately as soon as one of the parent's citizenship is through. It will be of just the waiting time of your application being processed(what ever number of months it takes to get your oath).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
Your daughter is 11 years old. She doesn't need to meet the 1095 days requirement if you're including her application with yours.
Its required for a child whose parent is not a Canadian. Most of us assumed like that(including myself) but its not the case.
Note the physical presence requirement inside the instructions but you wont find it for a child how has a Canadian parent.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html

Last edited:

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
1. Yes, 2. No, 3. Not for 11 year old, 4 & 5: Go with the instructions given.
The way to get your child's citizenship without enough physical presence is to get your citizenship first and then apply for the child separately as soon as one of the parent's citizenship is through. It will be of just the waiting time of your application being processed(what ever number of months it takes to get your oath).
Not true : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html
COmpare this with section 5.2.