frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had my Citizenship test and interview today. The interview was going smoothly. I was answering all the questions as I was asked. Towards the end the officer asked me why three other people living at your current address? I was surprised with the question (because no other people live at this address) then immediately asked the officer about their names. The officer left the room and came back after five minutes with the names. After hearing the names I instantly realized the names belong to the family of a friend who recently (4 weeks ago) used my address for PR landing in Toronto, although they were SK nominees. The officer asked me why they were using my address to which I replied I wanted to help them in receiving their PR cards in the mail because they did not have a home in Canada yet.

This discussion turned in an unpleasant direction, finally the officer said my friend is using my address to misrepresent PR program (SK nominee moved to ON, as he found a job in ON). In the end I was told my application will be further reviewed and I would be notified with the outcome. I left the interview room a little scared and have been thinking about this incident all day. To be honest I never thought about this before hand when my friend asked me my address.

After getting back home I have asked my friend to update his address on record. I am not sure how my citizenship application will end up? A lot of negative thoughts shroud my mind now - have I participated in misrepresenting PR nomination program? Will this lead to denial of citizenship? Will this lead to PR revoke? I am really scared. In the morning I left home excited for the citizenship test, and a few hours after I returned home nervous and skeptic. Any thoughts on what may happen to my application?

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
I had my Citizenship test and interview today. The interview was going smoothly. I was answering all the questions as I was asked. Towards the end the officer asked me why three other people living at your current address? I was surprised with the question (because no other people live at this address) then immediately asked the officer about their names. The officer left the room and came back after five minutes with the names. After hearing the names I instantly realized the names belong to the family of a friend who recently (4 weeks ago) used my address for PR landing in Toronto, although they were SK nominees. The officer asked me why they were using my address to which I replied I wanted to help them in receiving their PR cards in the mail because they did not have a home in Canada yet.

This discussion turned in an unpleasant direction, finally the officer said my friend is using my address to misrepresent PR program (SK nominee moved to ON, as he found a job in ON). In the end I was told my application will be further reviewed and I would be notified with the outcome. I left the interview room a little scared and have been thinking about this incident all day. To be honest I never thought about this before hand when my friend asked me my address.

After getting back home I have asked my friend to update his address on record. I am not sure how my citizenship application will end up? A lot of negative thoughts shroud my mind now - have I participated in misrepresenting PR nomination program? Will this lead to denial of citizenship? Will this lead to PR revoke? I am really scared. In the morning I left home excited for the citizenship test, and a few hours after I returned home nervous and skeptic. Any thoughts on what may happen to my application?

you didn't do anything wrong
you are fine

are you from saskatoon

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015

I am surprise how they know their name and address

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you are fine

are you from saskatoon
From Regina, but had my interview in Saskatoon. The officer told me to discuss my case with her supervisor, followed by a review process.

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am surprise how they know their name and address
I was surprised too, and it did not strike me immediately. It's only when the officer told me their names I could realize they used my address about 4 weeks ago.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
From Regina, but had my interview in Saskatoon. The officer told me to discuss my case with her supervisor, followed by a review process.
so you are fine

but i am surprise how they knew this do you have any idea

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I hope the OP will be okay, but he admitted to helping them potentially misrepresent their PR process. They will probably need to determine if a misrepresentation occurred and then go from there.

Why would you be surprised they would cross-reference the address? They do a fairly extensive BG check. CSIS has access to lots of information.

Reactions: dpenabill

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope the OP will be okay, but he admitted to helping them potentially misrepresent their PR process. They will probably need to determine if a misrepresentation occurred and then go from there.

Why would you be surprised they would cross-reference the address? They do a fairly extensive BG check. CSIS has access to lots of information.
What's the fallout of misrepresentation?? Will I be called for another interview with a CIC officer?? I could explain further that my intention was only to help this friend and his family.. I am really anxious now.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I'm sure some others will chime in, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that they can deny any applications at pretty much any stage, after some legal process.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What's the fallout of misrepresentation?? Will I be called for another interview with a CIC officer?? I could explain further that my intention was only to help this friend and his family.. I am really anxious now.
Did you in fact know that your friend was going to be taking a job in Ontario, as the officer implied?

Reactions: dpenabill

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
Well for one, it's not looking good for the friend. Second, I don't think there are grounds for refusal because of this. Understandably, the fact that the address is shared by multiple people who are using it for immigration purposes does raise a flag and needs review.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This is not a situation a forum like this can anywhere near adequately address. For one thing, there are undoubtedly many other facts and circumstances which could have an impact on how this affects things. To put this in context, this is usually true, there are usually many other facts and circumstances which will affect how things go. BUT this looms much larger in this context.

It may only trigger further inquiry into the friend's status. It may have little impact on your application. So I am hesitant to suggest spending some serious dollars on a lawyer. BUT again, this is a situation which can potentially go in so many directions depending on so many other factors.

I'd guess this could be of little import or trigger some further inquiries, perhaps some requests for additional information or documents from you, but NOT result in a real problem. BUT the fact this is a GUESS needs emphasizing.

If paying for a lawyer is easy for you, maybe see a lawyer sooner rather than later. If paying for a lawyer is difficult, perhaps just wait to see what happens next.

There is some risk this could have some or a lot of impact on how IRCC assesses your credibility. This could influence whether you are subject to requests for further information or documentation. And how IRCC approaches assessing the information in your case.

My guess (here I go, guessing again) is that if when asked questions at the interview you were open and truthful, not evasive, there should be a good chance this will NOT result in a serious problem . . . again, perhaps some non-routine requests but no serious problem.

On the other hand, if there is any reason why IRCC might perceive that you have not been open and truthful, or that there is more to this than you have divulged, that would push the needle toward finding a lawyer to at least talk to about the situation.

Understandably, the fact that the address is shared by multiple people who are using it for immigration purposes does raise a flag and needs review.
This is, perhaps, more true than ever. There have been hints in other cases that IRCC has finally developed some software that facilitates the GCMS check to cross-check addresses, telephone numbers, and employers.

The big fraud-scheme discovery in 2008/2009 came about when CIC finally realized that numerous immigrants had been using the exact same address or telephone number, and that scores more were using very similar addresses. It actually has been surprising that CIC took so long in developing software, scripts, or algorithms, similar to what is used in web-crawler software, to identify intersecting data like addresses and telephone numbers.

Some observations about potential facts:

The fact that someone else used your address does not constitute a misrepresentation by you. Even if you gave permission.

So, whether or not this could result in a fraud or misrepresentation allegation against you, that would mostly depend on what representations YOU have made.

If there was a criminal prosecution, which seems rather unlikely, permission to fraudulently use your address could support an accessory charge. The prospect of something like this seems quite remote. But that is based on the particular facts disclosed. For example, there is no reason to think this has happened here, but if this same address has also been used similarly in the past, that would quite likely raise some very big RED flags high.

Note too, if you made some misrepresentation, it is NO defense to say you did it for what you thought was a good cause, as in to help a friend. That is OK for giving permission, assuming you did so without knowing there was some fraud involved.

Which brings this here:

Did you in fact know that your friend was going to be taking a job in Ontario, as the officer implied?
Could make a significant difference in how culpable you could be. If you facilitated a fraud by your friend, that is something which also pushes the needle in the direction of talking to an attorney.

BUT if you did not make any misrepresentations yourself, and were not evasive when asked about this, and you were open and truthful in your answers, odds are good you are OK, even if you do have to go through some non-routine process before getting to the oath.

Reactions: STOF007

mohd000

May 21, 2013
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
29-11-2013 RCMP;3-03-2014 MARRIAGE QUESTIONARE
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
request to change vo for spouse
LANDED..........
11-08-2014
You should have explain the officer that you didnot have any idea that your friend was doing fraud by using your address.I think you will be fine but god bless your friend.I donot know why people do these kinds of frauds

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I allowed him to use my address for the sole purpose of receiving PR card and forwarding later to his new address. I knew he was offered a job in Ontario before moving to Canada, but he was not honest in telling me that he wished (secretly) to keep my address on file as he is a Saskatchewan nominee. After returning home today, I have strongly told him to call IRCC first thing tomorrow morning, and remove my address from his records. It's been 4 weeks now he is using my address, although he spent the first 4 days in SK. I am considering to get something in writing from him, just in case CIC needs some proof. Will this help?

mohd000

May 21, 2013
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
Doc's Request.
29-11-2013 RCMP;3-03-2014 MARRIAGE QUESTIONARE
AOR Received.
15-08-2013
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
exempted
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
request to change vo for spouse
LANDED..........
11-08-2014
I suggest you to talk to a good immigration lawyer.It is so sad that how people use friendship for fraud
I am sure you will be fine.Just chill and relax