+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship incomplete application : prohibited under the Citizenship Act

JDenH

Aug 15, 2020
Hey folks

Wanted to see if anyone had faced a similar issue and what are the options to proceed with the application. I have yet to contact the IRCC Client Support Center for support.

I mailed my application for citizenship on Feb 8th 2020, and it was received by CPC Sydney on March 17th 2020.
My application was returned as incomplete on August 6th and the following sections were highlighted:

16. Prohibitions: To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you cannot be prohibited under the Citizenship Act.
7. In the 10 years immediately before the date of your citizenship application, was your Canadian citizenship taken away (revoked) for reasons of false representation, fraud, or knowingly concealing material circumstances.
9. While a permanent resident, have you:

• Been convicted in Canada of terrorism, high treason, treason or spying offences?
  • Been convicted outside of Canada of terrorism?
  • Served as a member of an armed force of a country or territory or an organized armed group and that country or territory or group engaged in armed conflict with Canada.

I have truthfully answered "No" on my application, never been arrested by the police in Canada or elsewhere.
I became a landed immigrant to Quebec in 2008 via a temporary work visa, and then became a permanent resident in 2013 via the Quebec skilled workers program.
Due to the fact that I have not been outside of Canada for more than 183 days or more in a row in the past 4 years, I have not provided a police certificate with my citizenship application. But I did provide a police certificate for my permanent resident application, have successfully left and re-entered Canada a number of times since receiving PR (to Ireland for vacation and the US for business) without any issues.

Thanks a million - Jerry

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Did you put Check in Check-box in the same section after these questions for following question "I have read and understand the probihitions under citizenship act" ?

Some people on this forum have forgot to tick the box and got there applications returned

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Hey folks

Wanted to see if anyone had faced a similar issue and what are the options to proceed with the application. I have yet to contact the IRCC Client Support Center for support.

I mailed my application for citizenship on Feb 8th 2020, and it was received by CPC Sydney on March 17th 2020.
My application was returned as incomplete on August 6th and the following sections were highlighted:

16. Prohibitions: To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you cannot be prohibited under the Citizenship Act.
7. In the 10 years immediately before the date of your citizenship application, was your Canadian citizenship taken away (revoked) for reasons of false representation, fraud, or knowingly concealing material circumstances.

• Been convicted in Canada of terrorism, high treason, treason or spying offences?
  • Served as a member of an armed force of a country or territory or an organized armed group and that country or territory or group engaged in armed conflict with Canada.

I have truthfully answered "No" on my application, never been arrested by the police in Canada or elsewhere.
I became a landed immigrant to Quebec in 2008 via a temporary work visa, and then became a permanent resident in 2013 via the Quebec skilled workers program.
Due to the fact that I have not been outside of Canada for more than 183 days or more in a row in the past 4 years, I have not provided a police certificate with my citizenship application. But I did provide a police certificate for my permanent resident application, have successfully left and re-entered Canada a number of times since receiving PR (to Ireland for vacation and the US for business) without any issues.

Thanks a million - Jerry
You should order your ATIP file (gcms notes) and then you'll be able to completely understand the actual reason(s). Here is the link for atip.

https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
I did answer NO for all questions under Question # 16.
That's strange. I think they made a mistake in sending your application back.
You should send your application back with new Residence calculator dates and new application form with new dates as your application is stale dated ASAP.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hey folks

Thanks a million - Jerry
This seems like a mistake on their part if nothing is wrong in your application.

IRCC does tend to make mistakes from time to time (far more frequently than one would imagine), and your case seems to fall in such a situation IMO (unless you wrongly check marked a box).

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Thanks @smash1984 , so do I resubmit with a cover letter to that point, or do you know if there is an official form that I can fill out?
First, you should have a look at your atip file (gcms notes) to understand the reason(s) and that's what an atip file is meant for.

It may take 2-3 weeks to get your file via email in PDF. It costs $5 only. Go over each page thoroughly and read/interpret the officer(s) comments and remarks. Then you'll be able to discuss it with either ircc client support or lawyer etc.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks @smash1984 , so do I resubmit with a cover letter to that point, or do you know if there is an official form that I can fill out?
I agree, it would probably be better to see GCMS notes just in case. Although it does seem your application has been rejected in error, but probably a good idea to see GCMS notes just to be on the safe side.

You can then resubmit your application with LOE based on what you find in the GCMS notes.

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you put N/A in box b? Remember you can’t leave any box blank
Well, the question states that if you have answered "yes" to any of the above then use section B to explain. So if a person has stated no to all then it does not matter.

Reactions: Das67