+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship in process and PR card renewal status

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi All,

My citizenship application is in process. Applied in Aug 2019, waiting for Oath for the past 2 months.
Anyways I applied for PR card renewal in March 2021 and Havent received any update on that till now.

Is there anyway to check the status of PR card renewal? it has been 3 months already.

when I try with my Uci number on ecas, it shows Citizenship status and nothing about PR card renewal.

My card is expiring in next 2 months and my passport by December. I might have to travel outside but unfortunately nothing in hand to come back to canada easily.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All,

My citizenship application is in process. Applied in Aug 2019, waiting for Oath for the past 2 months.
Anyways I applied for PR card renewal in March 2021 and Havent received any update on that till now.

Is there anyway to check the status of PR card renewal? it has been 3 months already.

when I try with my Uci number on ecas, it shows Citizenship status and nothing about PR card renewal.

My card is expiring in next 2 months and my passport by December. I might have to travel outside but unfortunately nothing in hand to come back to canada easily.
You can send a webform and ask about the status of your PR card. Don't be surprised if you get a generic response.

You can also add your PR card application on your myCIC account. Login to your account and you'll see the option of manually adding your PR card application there.

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
You can send a webform and ask about the status of your PR card. Don't be surprised if you get a generic response.

You can also add your PR card application on your myCIC account. Login to your account and you'll see the option of manually adding your PR card application there.
i dont have any application number of my PR card renewal to add into myCIC account.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
I think in this situation, your PR card renewal application hasn't been opened and entered into system by them. PR card renewal is having a backlog at the moment as well, the processing time has been steadily increasing in the past few weeks. It would somehow make sense given the border might reopen soon that people are renewing their PR cards that previously didn't anticipate to; as well as the new PR pathway program might give them some extra work to do that is slowing other things down.

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
You don't need an application number to link your PR card application. All you need is your UCI and your family name.
:)

All I entered was UCI number and family name and what I got is Citizenship application status not PR card renewal.

Anyways, thanks for the inputs.

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I think in this situation, your PR card renewal application hasn't been opened and entered into system by them. PR card renewal is having a backlog at the moment as well, the processing time has been steadily increasing in the past few weeks. It would somehow make sense given the border might reopen soon that people are renewing their PR cards that previously didn't anticipate to; as well as the new PR pathway program might give them some extra work to do that is slowing other things down.
Yup, maybe and we know IRCC can have all the excuses in the world & will still remain untouched.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Yup, maybe and we know IRCC can have all the excuses in the world & will still remain untouched.
If you go check the PR residency obligation section, it appears that AOR is currently stuck around March 23 and hasn't been any move since. Everything's slowed down these days unfortunately.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
:)

All I entered was UCI number and family name and what I got is Citizenship application status not PR card renewal.

Anyways, thanks for the inputs.
Well, you are doing it incorrectly then. I was able to add even my initial PR card application to the myCIC account. I bet you logged into ECAS and you thought you were on myCIC account.

ECAS is the old tracker where you (used) check the status of your citizenship application.

myCIC account is where people apply for PR (Express Entry) / Visitor Visa etc. Click on the link and it will take you there.

If you applied via Express Entry, you must have an account there. Login to that account and try adding your PR renewal application. If you don't know the login, create a new account.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Well, you are doing it incorrectly then. I was able to add even my initial PR card application to the myCIC account. I bet you logged into ECAS and you thought you were on myCIC account.

ECAS is the old tracker where you (used) check the status of your citizenship application.

myCIC account is where people apply for PR (Express Entry) / Visitor Visa etc. Click on the link and it will take you there.

If you applied via Express Entry, you must have an account there. Login to that account and try adding your PR renewal application. If you don't know the login, create a new account.
PR card status can be tracked and should be tracked with ECAS. Although you are right that it can be linked to myCIC, ECAS should come earlier than that (when ECAS shows it’s there, myCIC shall follow).
They have once again updated the processing time today to 88 days. It means they are still increasing the processing time and the backlog is getting worse.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
PR card status can be tracked and should be tracked with ECAS. Although you are right that it can be linked to myCIC, ECAS should come earlier than that (when ECAS shows it’s there, myCIC shall follow).
They have once again updated the processing time today to 88 days. It means they are still increasing the processing time and the backlog is getting worse.
Thanks!

I've never seen anyone else check their PR renewal application on ECAS so I didn't know. This wasn't discussed anywhere else, I think.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know. I'll check if there's any discussion about that.

Usagisan

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
I'm feeling the same frustration here. I applied for the renewal back in Feb 2021. Then they returned my mail because I forgot to fill in one small question. I resent everything the next day and they received it on April 16, 2021. There's no AOR, nothing since then. I tried to link back my application to MyCIC account as suggested and did everything you guys mentioned before but it shows NOTHING. It's really frustrating because I need that PR card for purchasing an apt or get a new job. Now I can't really do that, even if I apply or a certification document it'll take time. IRCC is so messed up right now.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I'm feeling the same frustration here. I applied for the renewal back in Feb 2021. Then they returned my mail because I forgot to fill in one small question. I resent everything the next day and they received it on April 16, 2021. There's no AOR, nothing since then. I tried to link back my application to MyCIC account as suggested and did everything you guys mentioned before but it shows NOTHING. It's really frustrating because I need that PR card for purchasing an apt or get a new job. Now I can't really do that, even if I apply or a certification document it'll take time. IRCC is so messed up right now.
There is no doubt that IRCC's response to the global pandemic situation has been grossly inadequate and cause for much frustration, and so of course some activism toward encouraging IRCC to step up to the plate and do a better job is well-warranted.

But of course the other side of this coin are the aspects that are in the individual's control.

You are in the situation you are in now, and must ride that out as best you can. But much about this situation persists and could continue to plague the process for some time to come, so for others it could be important to identify and clarify what can be done to minimize the downsides, to avoid some of the frustrations you are now entangled in. Again, many aspects of the situation are in the individual's control, and there is quite a lot individuals can do to (1) avoid some of the impact of slow processing, (2) minimize the impact, or (3) work around the situation as well as one can. Any or all of these can help many of those affected.

File this in lessons learned from your experience (sorry that you had to go through this so these lessons could be shared).

So, mostly for anyone else approaching making an application to IRCC, be that for a new PR card, or for citizenship:

The most obvious one is the one that always applies: Follow the instructions. Do one's very best to avoid omissions in the application. Or mistakes.
This is something the applicant has significant control over. And especially in times like this, especially when it has been many months since it became all too apparent that IRCC was struggling to timely process applications due to the pandemic, applicants should be well aware that it is even more important to approach the process with a heightened level of care and diligence . . . after all, since more than a year ago now, it became clear IRCC processing timelines were falling behind, which would mean any application could be expected to take longer, but it was also readily obvious that if an application had to be returned, even doing that would take longer, in effect piling delay on top of delay.

Secondly, almost as importantly, PLAN AHEAD: A PR who has been living and present in Canada, who has not breached the PR Residency Obligation, should plan to make the application for a new PR card well before the current PR card expires. Here too, this is especially so during times like this. It warrants noting, in this regard, that prior to the pandemic, and the delays it caused, IRCC was only accepting PRC applications up to six months prior to the expiration of a current PRC. But following the impact of the pandemic IRCC expanded this to nine months. Plenty of time for PRs without issues (like RO compliance concerns) to apply for and be issued a new PRC before the current one expires (assuming the PR does not make a mistake and need to resubmit or reapply).

What about PRs with issues? Yes, obviously, those who have failed to comply with the RO cannot blame the government their applications are stalled and delayed, noting that just because they have subsequently stayed long enough to get back into compliance does not make questions or concerns magically disappear . . . indeed, PRs in this situation should be rather appreciative that the government has not pursued enforcement of the RO more aggressively and that the current rules allow for the PR to cure a breach by just staying. Obviously, such PRs, and those who have been cutting-it-close to some extent similarly, can anticipate longer processing times related to elevated scrutiny of their eligibility for a new PRC.

Some Further Observations:

"I need that PR card for purchasing an apt . . ."

Actually you do not need a valid PR card to purchase property in Canada. If you are referring to needing it attendant financing, your SIN plus either your CoPR or expired PR card should suffice with most institutions, and there are other means of satisfying financial institutions' requests related to verification of status in Canada.

"I need that PR card . . . to get a new job . . ."

This is not true either. Your SIN should suffice. It might affect some employment, but no where near most jobs. Even among employers who ask to be shown a PRC, the SIN plus either your CoPR or expired PR card should suffice, especially in conjunction with explanation that there is a delay in the processing of PRC applications. While I do not recommend challenging a prospective employer about its hiring requirements, for most employers requiring a PRC it is not really necessary, and the individual should be able to politely pushback on this . . . again, in conjunction with, for example, showing the valid SIN card and a recently expired PR card. Especially in conjunction with showing a history of employment in Canada.

lostsyr

Feb 12, 2015
Which question you didn’t fill? I have discovered after submission that the work history left blank for my wife Because she didn’t work, and I’m afraid they’ll return the package back because of this!! I’m already over 3 months of waiting with no AOR. Thx

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Which question you didn’t fill? I have discovered after submission that the work history left blank for my wife Because she didn’t work, and I’m afraid they’ll return the package back because of this!! I’m already over 3 months of waiting with no AOR. Thx
There is no "work history" in the citizenship application. I think you are referring to Q11 (which asks for all activities during the eligibility period).

You can't leave Q11 blank. If you did, then the application will most likely be returned as incomplete. If your wife did not work, she should have provided the dates and mentioned she was unemployed.