+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for my kids

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020
Me, my wife and my three kids ( 8,9, and 11) got PR last year. If my kids and wife leave Canada and I stay and obtain citizenship next year, will my family get citizenship too via my citizenship? As my kids and wife must leave Canada due to family/ financial issues. Please advise us as only I can stay in Canada for the next year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Me, my wife and my three kids ( 8,9, and 11) got PR last year. If my kids and wife leave Canada and I stay and obtain citizenship next year, will my family get citizenship too via my citizenship? As my kids and wife must leave Canada due to family/ financial issues. Please advise us as only I can stay in Canada for the next year.
Your wife cannot get citizenship through you. She must qualify on her own through living in Canada and meeting the citizenship residency requirement.

You can include your minor children in your citizenship application however they must meet the PR residency requirement (i.e. they can't be out of compliance with the PR residency requirement).

Reactions: snoopyta

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020
Your wife cannot get citizenship through you. She must qualify on her own through living in Canada and meeting the citizenship residency requirement.

You can include your minor children in your citizenship application however they must meet the PR residency requirement (i.e. they can't be out of compliance with the PR residency requirement).
Thank you for your kind reply. what are the PR residency requirements?

when I meet the citizenship requirements ( December 2023), my three kids will still have a valid PR card. Please Advise.

Thank you all.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Thank you for your kind reply. what are the PR residency requirements?

when I meet the citizenship requirements ( December 2023), my three kids will still have a valid PR card. Please Advise.

Thank you all.
3 years stay in a 5 year period, taxes to be filed if applicable - the stay period is crucial - each person has tofulfill that condition

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020
3 years stay in a 5 year period, taxes to be filed if applicable - the stay period is crucial - each person has tofulfill that condition
Even minors have to fulfill the days in Canada in order to get citizenship. Can not they get it through their parent who will fulfill the days by December 2023 ?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Even minors have to fulfill the days in Canada in order to get citizenship. Can not they get it through their parent who will fulfill the days by December 2023 ?
There are 2 categories to apply for minors - you should check the requirements - looks like if they are applying at the same time as a parent for citizenship or as a child of Canadian citizen then the stay requirement is not indicated

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

Mykim7

Jun 3, 2016
Hello everyoe,

I am about to prepare a citizenship application online. And I do have a question. I understand that I could apply for a citizenship online. However, if I want to do my application with a minor child 15 years old boy at the same time of my online application. It seems it is not possible to do both at the same time together online.

Can I do mine online and send my cild one as supplement via mail?
Or should I do both via mai?

Any other best way to do online together?

please advise, It is always been very helpful your comments and guidance.

Thanks for your kind answer in advance!

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Hello everyoe,

I am about to prepare a citizenship application online. And I do have a question. I understand that I could apply for a citizenship online. However, if I want to do my application with a minor child 15 years old boy at the same time of my online application. It seems it is not possible to do both at the same time together online.

Can I do mine online and send my cild one as supplement via mail?
Or should I do both via mai?

Any other best way to do online together?

please advise, It is always been very helpful your comments and guidance.

Thanks for your kind answer in advance!
You have to submit a paper based application for both of you together - that is the only option if you wish to apply for citizenship ship at the same time else you can apply online and then apply for your child once you get your citizenship. As of now, paper applications seem to be moving faster as compared to online.

Reactions: Mykim7

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020

Mykim7

Jun 3, 2016
You have to submit a paper based application for both of you together - that is the only option if you wish to apply for citizenship ship at the same time else you can apply online and then apply for your child once you get your citizenship. As of now, paper applications seem to be moving faster as compared to online.
Thanks a lot for your kind information regarding my concerns. It has been very helpful. Appreciated! Stay safe and cool during the summer!