+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for my children

JKI2S

Aug 5, 2013
Greetings,

I am a Canadian citizen residing in the United States. My wife and I have had two children while in the U.S. are are planning to relocate our family to Toronto within the next two years. I intend on sponsoring my American wife and applying for citizenship through descent for our two children.

Can I apply for my children while still living in the United States? I remember reading somewhere that my children would need to be permanent residents for at least 12 months before receiving citizenship certificates. Is this correct?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

JKI2S said:
Greetings,

I am a Canadian citizen residing in the United States. My wife and I have had two children while in the U.S. are are planning to relocate our family to Toronto within the next two years. I intend on sponsoring my American wife and applying for citizenship through descent for our two children.

Can I apply for my children while still living in the United States? I remember reading somewhere that my children would need to be permanent residents for at least 12 months before receiving citizenship certificates. Is this correct?

1. Yes assuming you were either born in Canada or naturalized in Canada you children should be eligible for citizenship. You apply for proof of citizenship: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp
2. No, they don't have to resident in Canada for 12 months

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
My Brother was in the same situation, and he received the citizenship certificates for his children in less than 2 months.

JKI2S said:
Greetings,