+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for minors with PR cards but not residing in Canada

isarog

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Can anyone be so kind enough to answer my query? I've been searching through all the threads but can't seem to find the answer. Here are the details:

The family landed in Canada through FSW stream, and wife together with the child went back home to raise them. After completing the 3 out of 4 years residency requirements for citizeship (husband stays for three years straight in Canada), he then applies for citizenship.

The question: Can the husband also apply for citizenship for his child even if the kid is not residing in Canada (but still has valid PR cards) or does the kid need to be residing in Canada?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, the children do not need to be residing in Canada. However, if they never stayed in Canada, they would be close to losing their PR due to residency requirements. You are only allowed up to 1095 days (3 years) outside. They can not get citizenship if their PR status is in question.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
As far as I know, the children do not need to be residing in Canada. However, if they never stayed in Canada, they would be close to losing their PR due to residency requirements. You are only allowed up to 1095 days (3 years) outside. They can not get citizenship if their PR status is in question.
They have to be residing in Canada, although don't require 3 years residency if one of the parents is a Canadian citizen, but their residency requirement can't be in doubt.

isarog

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your inputs, Leon and PMM. I'll keep that in mind. I wish you both of you all the best in your endeavors. :D

isarog

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon, PMM and to anyone else who would be kind enough to reply to my query. Please do indulge me with your patience.

Let us suppose that after the father gains citizenship:

1) He stays with the child in their home country for two years;
2) Applies for a travel document for the child; and
3) Upon going back to Canada with the child, he applies for the renewal of the Child's PR card.

In my previous post, you informed me that the issue was that the child's PR status would be in question. Now, since the father has already complied with the child's PR obligation, would the father then be able to finally apply for the child's citizenship?

And if that is possible (for the father to finally apply for the child's citizenship), can he immediately do it upon return to Canada or does he need to wait for the PR card to processed and released before he can apply?

Thank you again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your scenario could work. The father would not have to wait for the PR card to be issued to apply for citizenship for the child as long as it meets the residency requirements.

isarog

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your reply Sir Leon. Please continue on helping us poor chaps who are a little confused our obligations. For all its worth, you truly are heaven sent. :)