+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for minor

yoshi786

Aug 16, 2017
Here's some background.

Both I and my partner have PR and a 10-month-old LO, who was born outside of Canada.
Partner and I are divorcing, and I will be returning back to Canada for some time, in order to become eligible for Citizenship and secure it.

My question is when I get Canadian Citizenship, can the Canadian Citizenship be granted to my LO as well? Or will I need to sponsor LO as a dependent, get her PR and then eventually Citizenship?

Manal90

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
Here's some background.

Both I and my partner have PR and a 10-month-old LO, who was born outside of Canada.
Partner and I are divorcing, and I will be returning back to Canada for some time, in order to become eligible for Citizenship and secure it.

My question is when I get Canadian Citizenship, can the Canadian Citizenship be granted to my LO as well? Or will I need to sponsor LO as a dependent, get her PR and then eventually Citizenship?
If the baby had a PR and was coming with you, you could have applied together as a dependent but since the baby has no PR, you need to come bck to Canada and fill PR application for the baby. PR comes before citizenship for everyone unless one of the parent had a Citizenship before the birth of the child which means automatic citizenship for that child.. good luck

yoshi786

Aug 16, 2017
If the baby had a PR and was coming with you, you could have applied together as a dependent but since the baby has no PR, you need to come bck to Canada and fill PR application for the baby.
Thanks! I figured as much. Any idea if both parent's consent/signatures will be required?

Reactions: Manal90