+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for Children - Plz Answer

pras_tcs

Star Member
Jun 5, 2014
Hello All,
I want to apply Citizenship for my kid who is 5 years Old. My Kid's passport got expired 5 months ago and I have not renewed it yet.
Is it ok for me to submit his Citizenship Application with the expired passport ? From what I have seen in CIC page, it is asking to provide an explanation in the Application form if the child does not have a valid travel document ( Passport). so I think I can offer some explanation and submit the Application as I don't want to wait till the passport renewal ( as that process will take much time but I will do it parallel anyway)

Pls provide your comments/ suggestions. Thanks in Advance.

Prax

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Passport renewal for kids shouldn't take more than a week or two as the minors don't need a police clearance process. If I were you, I would get it renewed first and then apply since 1-2 weeks is not a big deal.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hello All,
I want to apply Citizenship for my kid who is 5 years Old. My Kid's passport got expired 5 months ago and I have not renewed it yet.
Is it ok for me to submit his Citizenship Application with the expired passport ? From what I have seen in CIC page, it is asking to provide an explanation in the Application form if the child does not have a valid travel document ( Passport). so I think I can offer some explanation and submit the Application as I don't want to wait till the passport renewal ( as that process will take much time but I will do it parallel anyway)

Pls provide your comments/ suggestions. Thanks in Advance.
You don't need to renew it apply and any period that doesn't cover the 5 years eligibility period just explain why and you should be fine. I did the same with my son's application.

Prax

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Quick question.. when you fill out the Citizenship Application form for your kid, what did you choose for 11.c.
11 APPOINTMENT OF A REPRESENTATIVE
c) Would you like to name a representative (such as an immigration or citizenship consultant, lawyer, friend, or family member) to do business with us for you?

Saying "yes" to the above question will require you to submit a User of Representative Form along with the application. No issues with submitting that form, but it seems it has to be signed by the applicant which is difficult if the kid is very young.
What did you guys do in your case?

Thanks