+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for child - a few questions.

Taddy

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
29-11-2015
I applied for a citizenship certificate for my 11 year old son. He was born in the UK to a Canadian (by birth) father. Documents were received mid November.

I checked ecas for the first time today (only got UCI today) and it says DM. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get anything from CIC after DM please?

Please he just receive a CC in the mail or is there another process he will need to go through to get it, bearing in mind he's only 11?

Also, we are travelling to the UK next month. If he gets a CC but not his Canadian passport before we travel will he still need an eta to re-enter Canada or is a CC sufficient? If we don't get his passport he will enter on a UK passport but I didn't know if he would be exempt from an eta as a Canadian Citizen or if he also needs a Canadian PP to be exempt.

TIA

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
He doesn't need an ETA because he is Canadian. But a CC is not a valid travel document. He needs a Canadian passport. Would a CBSA officer allow him to enter as a Canadian citizen with a UK passport and a CC certificate? Maybe, but the airline might not allow him to board.

Taddy

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
29-11-2015
Thank you. I guess I need to hope that his CC arrives very soon so that I can also get his passport before we travel.