+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for Adult Children of PR's Who Arrived as Minors

PauloAvesa

May 19, 2016
Hi

sorry, rather a complex, long title!

My wife and I came to Canada with our 2 sons then aged 10 and 12 from the UK in 2007 and became permanent residents in 2008.

My wife and I have been fairly content with our PR status and seen no particular reason to seek citizenship and also balked at the cost. Consequently our sons do not have citizenship. We all fully comply with citizenship requirements though.

My sons are getting to the end of their university education in Canada and we're encouraging them to seek citizenship in case advantageous job opportunities should come from outside Canada and they might be in an invidious position of having to choose the job or the right to live in Canada.

So, basically, they came in as dependent minors, are now adult and have permanent residency and are seeking citizenship.

My son said he looked into the question of citizenship, but all the forms assume the applicant is either an independent adult or an adult seeking citizenship for themselves and their family. He is particularly concerned because some of the questions on the form require data about him from the landing document which does not exist as the document was issued to me giving my and my wife's details and my sons were listed as dependents.

I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on the procedure for citizenship application for people who came into Canada as dependent minors, are now adult and have permanent residency and are seeking citizenship?

Thanks for any advice..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

I don't quite understand what the issue it. It doesn't matter how they became PRs or what your status is; if they qualify to apply for citizenship, they can go right ahead and apply.

Your landing document is their landing document. If there is required information that isn't listed on the document, they can include a letter of explanation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp

PauloAvesa

May 19, 2016
Hi

thanks for the information.

My son's a student and although he's worked 3 summers so he doesn't have the full 4 years tax records that the application says is required. Is this an absolute requirement or will 3 years be enough?

Also, he hasn't been outside Canada since we drove around the flag 8 years ago and his PR card is expired and also his UK passport is expired. Does he need to renew these before he can apply for residency or will a covering letter do?

Thanks for your help..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No, the tax records are not mandatory. He can include a letter of explanation and show other residency proofs.

He doesn't need to renew his passport or PR card.

PauloAvesa

May 19, 2016
Hi

thanks again for the advice, it's much appreciated. What other proofs can he supply other than tax records? He's finishing his 4th year at university so would attendance transcripts qualify? He's doing a year out on a Coop assignment and has another year to go. He does have 3 years tax records.