+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship | FBI Identity History Summary Checks - Processing Times + Open Questions

maverick_bigapple

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
Hi All,

Considering that I will be applying for citizenship in December, I've started to review the documents needed to file my application. I will need a FBI Identity History Summary Check as one of the supporting documents and had a few related questions -

(i) What is the current processing time to obtain the Identity History Summary Check based on requests made in the recent past? (Per the FBI's website, they claim the processing time to be between 3-5 days for an online application and between 2-4 weeks for applications mailed out, but those aren't always definite)

(ii) Are both the online and mailed (hard copy) versions required to be submitted? Based on what I read off the forum, they're both identical, but I wanted to avoid any hiccups later

(iii) Considering that my partner is based out of the US, I may have upcoming travel. Would the document be null and void should I have trips planned to the US post the issue date of the document?

(iv) I believe there exists an option to provide the requestor's SSN and have it included on the document. Is this mandatory from a citizenship application standpoint?

(v) Can anyone share their experiences with channelers (within the GTA)? It seems channelers are allowed to process applications for US nationals only, but I wanted to confirm if my understanding was accurate. Alternatively, are there any services for fingerprinting that are recommended (within the GTA)?

Many thanks!
NK

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
I have no personal experience but it would seem like the validity is determined based on either 6 months or last entry. I've started looking into these for my upcoming application (not imminent).

(i)
If I were you I'd submit the request asap if you're planning to file your citizenship app in December. Irrespective of whether the posted times on the FBI site are valid or not, it's getting very close.

(iii)
With respect to the IRCC validity requirements, this is my understanding:

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued

• after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
Lets take a hypothetical scenario where you left the US in Dec 2016 and didn't re-enter since. And you have a police certificate from the FBI dated Mar 2017. You can reuse that certificate (and the six month validity requirement is overridden by the last entry option) and need not obtain a new one.

Now if you travel to the US frequently then the six month requirement would come into play and you'd have a submit a "recent" report that's dated within the past six months. Much like a PR app when you would've submitted a police report dated within six months while still living in the US.

This seems to be the only possible logical reading. However, given a lot of things seem subjective and some folks make up rules on the go, would plan the travel accordingly if possible, just to be extra cautious.

(iv)
I wouldn't think IRCC cares about SSN. This field is typically used by US employers that are clearing their employees for jobs that require police checks. Even if you provide an SSN IRCC probably has no way to use it. (FBI might use it to resolve duplicates while processing your application if you have a very common name like John Smith and share date of birth with many others, but otherwise it seems irrelevant).

(v)
I believe US nationality requirement for private channeler use comes from the FBI and not based on where you're currently present so I'd imagine you'd have to go thru the FBI.

I've been searching for FP services and this one seems to be fine based on my search. I have no personal experience with them. The cost seems reasonable ($55) and they automatically include two copies (which is good, as a backup). Everything is clearly posted on their website but again I don't have any experience with them.
FBI Fingerprinting For USA - Canadian Forensics Inc (canadianforensicservices.com)

Tagging @rajkamalmohanram, he might be able to confirm/clarify some of these info or tag other relevant folks

Reactions: maverick_bigapple

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi All,

Considering that I will be applying for citizenship in December, I've started to review the documents needed to file my application. I will need a FBI Identity History Summary Check as one of the supporting documents and had a few related questions -

(i) What is the current processing time to obtain the Identity History Summary Check based on requests made in the recent past? (Per the FBI's website, they claim the processing time to be between 3-5 days for an online application and between 2-4 weeks for applications mailed out, but those aren't always definite)

(ii) Are both the online and mailed (hard copy) versions required to be submitted? Based on what I read off the forum, they're both identical, but I wanted to avoid any hiccups later

(iii) Considering that my partner is based out of the US, I may have upcoming travel. Would the document be null and void should I have trips planned to the US post the issue date of the document?

(iv) I believe there exists an option to provide the requestor's SSN and have it included on the document. Is this mandatory from a citizenship application standpoint?

(v) Can anyone share their experiences with channelers (within the GTA)? It seems channelers are allowed to process applications for US nationals only, but I wanted to confirm if my understanding was accurate. Alternatively, are there any services for fingerprinting that are recommended (within the GTA)?

Many thanks!
NK
Yes you can receive email report in few days itself. they revamped the system few years ago. Earlier it used to take ages(months).
Use option1 in the website to make it fast. Create account. Send the prints. You have option to be emailed as well as mailed.
ssn is not mandatory for fbi checks.
As far as i know, citizens only can use channelers directly to query the records. Rest of them to be sending the prints via post.
Nowadays its just the delay on the time it reaches the prints as they are sending email with record in few days.

maverick_bigapple

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
Yes you can receive email report in few days itself. they revamped the system few years ago. Earlier it used to take ages(months).
Use option1 in the website to make it fast. Create account. Send the prints. You have option to be emailed as well as mailed.
ssn is not mandatory for fbi checks.
As far as i know, citizens only can use channelers directly to query the records. Rest of them to be sending the prints via post.
Nowadays its just the delay on the time it reaches the prints as they are sending email with record in few days.
Is there a validity requirement on when the clearance certificate should be issued? Considering that I'm in the process of sending out a request to the FBI to have it handy when its needed for the citizenship application.

The only thing I could find on the Instruction Guide is -
To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued ◦ after the last time you were in that country, or ◦ no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application

Many thanks!
NK

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Is there a validity requirement on when the clearance certificate should be issued? Considering that I'm in the process of sending out a request to the FBI to have it handy when its needed for the citizenship application.

The only thing I could find on the Instruction Guide is -
To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued ◦ after the last time you were in that country, or ◦ no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application

Many thanks!
NK
Yes thats the requirement. Not sure whats the confusion for you in it.
It should be issued within 6 months of your application date(within 6 months of the date you send application package) or it can be older if it is issued after you left the country last time.

Reactions: maverick_bigapple

maverick_bigapple

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
Yes thats the requirement. Not sure whats the confusion for you in it.
It should be issued within 6 months of your application date(within 6 months of the date you send application package) or it can be older if it is issued after you left the country last time.
No confusion - just wanted to make sure there wasn't another requirement around the document (considering that the requirements change every once in a while)

Many thanks for the clarification, @harirajmohan

Reactions: harirajmohan