Citizenship Eligibility

Zaibi

Aug 22, 2010
Dear Friends,

I am aware of teh fact the one has to spend

365x3=1095 days with in Canada to get the passport and
365x2 days for RP renewal.

My question is

If i spend 95 days out of 1095 days outside the Canada, my RP will be renewed but on the new RP, will I again have to live 1095 days in Canada or 1000 days will be brought forward from the old RP and just by spending 95 more days after RP renewal, I will be eligible for the Passport Application?

I think that 1000 Days will be brought forward but one of my friends insists that the counter of 1095 days restarts if you dont complete 1095 days on one RP

Any suggestions/thoughts/experiences?????

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zaibi said:
365x3=1095 days with in Canada to get the passport and
This is incorrect. You can't apply the Canadian passport until you have the Citizenship certificate.

For the rest of the question, follow the advice here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/eligibilty-for-canadian-passport-t88557.0.html;msg1114174#msg1114174

Zaibi

Aug 22, 2010
Dear Steaky,

Thanks for the link. Actually I put this question on yesterday. Well, ok lets make it this way.

1- To get citizenship certificate, Do you have to spend 3 years there in Canada on one RP?
2- What if you are failed to spend 1095 days and your RP is renewed, will you have to complete the missing days only on the new RP or start the counter of 3 years all over again????

Thanks

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I think your question got answered in the other thread after you posted this one, but for others reading THIS thread...

There is no starting over with the day count based on your PR card renewal. You can apply for citizenship if you have spent 1095 days physically in Canada in the previous 4 year period.

BTW, you are not renewing your PR status; you are only renewing the card you carry that identifies your status. I think people are often confused on this point.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zaibi said:
Dear Steaky,

Thanks for the link. Actually I put this question on yesterday. Well, ok lets make it this way.

1- To get citizenship certificate, Do you have to spend 3 years there in Canada on one RP?
2- What if you are failed to spend 1095 days and your RP is renewed, will you have to complete the missing days only on the new RP or start the counter of 3 years all over again????

Thanks
A PR card is simply a piece of paper to proof to the airlines that you are a PR when you board the plane.
Your residency status and obligations are in no way linked to the card, i.e. if the card expires it does not mean you are no longer a PR..

As per the law, one of the requirements to be eligible for citizenship is to be physically present in Canada 3 years within the last 4 years prior to applying to the citizenship, and this by itself not mandatory for exceptional cases where one can proof strong ties to Canada and not live 1095 days.. there was a famous case where a PR lived 79 days prior to apply..