+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship eligibility through Canadian grandfather who fought in WWII?

flanagaj

Jan 25, 2020
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I am trying to understand if I have eligibility for Canadian citizenship through my grandfather who was in the Canadian Air Force based in England during WWII. My father was born in England in 1945 when my grandfather was still serving in the Canadian Air Force. Sadly both my grandfather and father are no longer alive and my father never applied for Canadian citizenship.

I just read somewhere that I might however be eligible, but I am not sure that is correct?

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Reactions: Doctorstrange11

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I am trying to understand if I have eligibility for Canadian citizenship through my grandfather who was in the Canadian Air Force based in England during WWII. My father was born in England in 1945 when my grandfather was still serving in the Canadian Air Force. Sadly both my grandfather and father are no longer alive and my father never applied for Canadian citizenship.

I just read somewhere that I might however be eligible, but I am not sure that is correct?

Any help welcomed.

Thanks
1. You are probably not a citizen. Your father would have to had his birth registered and then applied to retain his citizenship

A declaration of retention is when you apply to the Canadian government to register and retain your citizenship. between the ages of 21 and 24 and received a Certificate of Retention of Canadian Citizenship

2. You can use the tool to confirm. https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/default.aspx

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017

Any help welcomed.

Thanks
I believe you are referring to Paragraph 3(5) of the current Citizenship Act, which is the exception to the first generation limit for citizenship by descent. Since you've stated that your father was born while your grandfather was still serving, and if you can prove your grandfather's service, then I believe you are eligible for citizenship by descent as a second generation under this exception.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
1. … Your father would have to had his birth registered and then applied to retain his citizenship
I believe this is only half-true. His father was born before the commencement of Canadian citizenship, so under Paragraph 4 of the 1947 Act, registration was not required, which is described in Paragraph 5 for those born after Commencement.

2. You can use the tool to confirm. https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/default.aspx
That link no longer works. Here is the updated link from the Canadian Government's website for your reference:
https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=auto

flanagaj

Jan 25, 2020
I believe this is only half-true. His father was born before the commencement of Canadian citizenship, so under Paragraph 4 of the 1947 Act, registration was not required, which is described in Paragraph 5 for those born after Commencement.

That link no longer works. Here is the updated link from the Canadian Government's website for your reference:
https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=auto
Thank you. That does seem to hold out some hope.

Does it matter that both my father and grandfather are dead? I can of course prove the relationship as I have my father's birth certificate which states my grandfather's name and I can prove my grandfather served in the Canadian Air Force based here in England during WWII?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Thank you. That does seem to hold out some hope.

Does it matter that both my father and grandfather are dead? I can of course prove the relationship as I have my father's birth certificate which states my grandfather's name and I can prove my grandfather served in the Canadian Air Force based here in England during WWII?
No, it does not matter if your grandfather and father have passed away.

Reactions: flanagaj

flanagaj

Jan 25, 2020
After two years of waiting, the post women has just handed over my Canadian Citizenship Certificate. I am slightly speechless and a little emotional as my Canadian grandfather who is sadly no longer alive is probably looking down with a smile on his face.

Thanks for everyone who helped me with this journey. It is hugely appreciated.