+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship eligibility, question on employment history... currently unemployed, collecting EI, and got a registered company

batman12345

Star Member
Jun 24, 2018
Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding my Citizenship eligibility, thank you in advance for reading all this.

A bit of background
Since I came to Canada I have been working in my field of study. The first two years I was working while getting my master's too. After graduation, I worked in the same company and later applied for PR and I also worked for two other companies after that too (can't name them here). The last company that I started working for is well known and due to Covid it went through a workforce reduction and I was part of that. So ever since my layoff in 2020 I have been unemployed and receiving EI. Right before getting laid off in 2020, I registered an incorporation to MAYBE find some work to do (I knew I was getting laid off). While collecting EI, I tried to work on my own idea that I always had but only spent few hours per week and I told Service Canada about that and they said if it's only a few hours a week and you're are actively looking for jobs and you didn't make any money then you can be considered "unemployed".

So the question is
1. When I am filling out my employment history, should I also add the registered incorporation to it too? keep in mind I made no money and wasn't really considered self-employed either (at least that's what Service Canada said)
2. I have been actively looking for jobs and had few interviews and unfortunately no luck so far. Will this negatively impact my application because I have been unemployed for a year now?

Appreciate your response, thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding my Citizenship eligibility, thank you in advance for reading all this.

A bit of background
Since I came to Canada I have been working in my field of study. The first two years I was working while getting my master's too. After graduation, I worked in the same company and later applied for PR and I also worked for two other companies after that too (can't name them here). The last company that I started working for is well known and due to Covid it went through a workforce reduction and I was part of that. So ever since my layoff in 2020 I have been unemployed and receiving EI. Right before getting laid off in 2020, I registered an incorporation to MAYBE find some work to do (I knew I was getting laid off). While collecting EI, I tried to work on my own idea that I always had but only spent few hours per week and I told Service Canada about that and they said if it's only a few hours a week and you're are actively looking for jobs and you didn't make any money then you can be considered "unemployed".

So the question is
1. When I am filling out my employment history, should I also add the registered incorporation to it too? keep in mind I made no money and wasn't really considered self-employed either (at least that's what Service Canada said)
2. I have been actively looking for jobs and had few interviews and unfortunately no luck so far. Will this negatively impact my application because I have been unemployed for a year now?

Appreciate your response, thanks!
To start off, employment has nothing to do with being eligible for citizenship.

1. Well, if you weren't considered self-employed and made no money, I guess you can simply write "Unemployed" for that period because Service Canada themselves told you were considered to be unemployed, right? The reason why IRCC asks for these activities is primarily to gather information and then cross-check with your physical presence in Canada IMO. If you were unemployed at the time AND receiving EI, the best course of action IMO is to write "Unemployed" for that duration.

2. This will NOT affect your eligibility for becoming a Canadian citizen. I'm sorry to hear this and I sincerely hope you find a job at the earliest. I wish you all the very best.

batman12345

Star Member
Jun 24, 2018
To start off, employment has nothing to do with being eligible for citizenship.

1. Well, if you weren't considered self-employed and made no money, I guess you can simply write "Unemployed" for that period because Service Canada themselves told you were considered to be unemployed, right? The reason why IRCC asks for these activities is primarily to gather information and then cross-check with your physical presence in Canada IMO. If you were unemployed at the time AND receiving EI, the best course of action IMO is to write "Unemployed" for that duration.

2. This will NOT affect your eligibility for becoming a Canadian citizen. I'm sorry to hear this and I sincerely hope you find a job at the earliest. I wish you all the very best.
Thank you very much for your input!

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram