+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Eligibility *COVID-19*

yuaki123

Oct 23, 2018
Hi,
So with the current problem with how escalated the COVID situation here in Canada, my parents insisted that me (PR) and my younger sister (international student) come back to our home country and wait for things to die down. Our country is doing pretty well in term of containing the outbreak and they allow anyone who shows symptoms to take a test (instead of meeting a certain criteria here in Canada) and enforce strict quarantine rules (meaning every incoming flights to the country has to be put under 14 days quarantine, no exceptions).

I'm currently have a job and is working towards my citizenship, expecting to submit my application by Spring 2021. My sister is in her first semester studying in Canada (high school). While I know that I can come back because I am a PR, I have a few questions:
1) I would have to quit my job because they won't let me be away for a week yet alone a few months. So when I come back, I plan to take up a 2 years full time of studying and not working. So would that affect my eligibility to apply for citizenship if I don't work?
2) If my sister take a leave of absence now, can she come back to Canada? Considering she is holding study permit and is a sibling to a PR.
3) Would that affect her PGWP later? She is on 3 weeks March break, but I doubt things will be better in 3 weeks, so she may not be able to come back to Canada because of the travel ban.

Thank you for any inputs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
So with the current problem with how escalated the COVID situation here in Canada, my parents insisted that me (PR) and my younger sister (international student) come back to our home country and wait for things to die down. Our country is doing pretty well in term of containing the outbreak and they allow anyone who shows symptoms to take a test (instead of meeting a certain criteria here in Canada) and enforce strict quarantine rules (meaning every incoming flights to the country has to be put under 14 days quarantine, no exceptions).

I'm currently have a job and is working towards my citizenship, expecting to submit my application by Spring 2021. My sister is in her first semester studying in Canada (high school). While I know that I can come back because I am a PR, I have a few questions:
1) I would have to quit my job because they won't let me be away for a week yet alone a few months. So when I come back, I plan to take up a 2 years full time of studying and not working. So would that affect my eligibility to apply for citizenship if I don't work?
2) If my sister take a leave of absence now, can she come back to Canada? Considering she is holding study permit and is a sibling to a PR.
3) Would that affect her PGWP later? She is on 3 weeks March break, but I doubt things will be better in 3 weeks, so she may not be able to come back to Canada because of the travel ban.

Thank you for any inputs.
1. Whether you are studying or working is irrelevant to a citizenship app.

2. Not while the ban is in place. The current exemption is for immediate family members of citizens; you are neither a citizen nor an immediate family member (generally defined as spouse/partner and dependent children).

3. Yes, a leave of absence can affect her PGWP. It remains to be seen how exactly IRCC will handle this.