+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship - do you lose it if you live abroad ?

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,

im wondering can you live abroad ( in your home country ) as many years as you want and keep your Canadian citizenship or can you lose it if you stay outside Canada for too long ?
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

im wondering can you live abroad ( in your home country ) as many years as you want and keep your Canadian citizenship or can you lose it if you stay outside Canada for too long ?
Thank you
Keep

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Thank you ! Do you know if I have to let CRA know if I live abroad temporarily ? I had to go to my home country for some health reasons and I’m not sure when I’ll be back . Do I have to inform them now ? Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

Thank you
1/ No you can't lose it by living abroad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you ! Do you know if I have to let CRA know if I live abroad temporarily ? I had to go to my home country for some health reasons and I’m not sure when I’ll be back . Do I have to inform them now ? Thanks
Yes you need to inform CRA. Depending on your assets in Canada you may then become a non-resident of Canada. You also need to inform your provincial healthcare plan if you’ll be out of Canada for an extended period of time. Assume you have already stopped your EI payments when you went abroad.

Last edited:

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
lo0se canadian citizenship -
Naturalizing as a citizen in another country; Serving in the military of another country; Failing to reside in Canada for a specific period of time; Failing to affirm your citizenship after a certain time abroad.

• Haha
Reactions: sahibo

xuan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
for "health" reason? does your country offer better healthcare than Canada ? i highly doubt so ...

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
lo0se canadian citizenship -
Naturalizing as a citizen in another country; Serving in the military of another country; Failing to reside in Canada for a specific period of time; Failing to affirm your citizenship after a certain time abroad.
You are posting a lot of made-up nonsense. OP, please ignore all this, and in future quickly inform yourself properly by simply going to the relevant government pages; don't be lazy.

There are only two ways to lose Canadian citizenship: (1) renunciation (i.e., you choose to give it up), or (2) revocation (i.e. it is found that you obtained the citizenship through fraud, false representation, or concealing material facts).

Go here:
Acquisition and loss of citizenship - Canada.ca
and here:
Revocation of citizenship - Canada.ca

Last edited:

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Yes you need to inform CRA. Depending on your assets in Canada you may then become a non-resident of Canada. You also need to inform your provincial healthcare plan if you’ll be out of Canada for an extended period of time. Assume you have already stopped your EI payments when you went abroad.
How do I inform them ? And after how long do I need to inform them ? I will come back I’m just not sure when , maybe in 6 months or a year . And I’m still waiting on my passport ( from my home country ) is it okay if I inform them before getting my passport ? And can I keep my bank accounts there ? ( as I do intend to return ) . I also will not be working in my home country . Thanks

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Just go as necessary and come back when u need. You can have your accountant file your taxes as a non-resident if needed….I wouldn’t worry or need to do anything for the health coverage.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Just go as necessary and come back when u need. You can have your accountant file your taxes as a non-resident if needed….I wouldn’t worry or need to do anything for the health coverage.
Do I need to inform CRA now that I’m outside Canada or after 6 months or when I do my taxes ?
Thanks