+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship days

harupit200281

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Hi All,
A quick query;
1. The calculation of days for citizenship application: My wife completed 2 years on old PR. After renewal of PR, she will spend one more year in Canada on new PR. My question is whether days spent on old PR counts towards her eligibility of citizenship?

2. Once applied for citizenship, can she travel out of country till she is asked to appear for test? Will there by any adverse effect of such travel on her citizenship application?

Thank you all in advance for your kind thoughts.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
harupit200281 said:
Hi All,
A quick query;
1. The calculation of days for citizenship application: My wife completed 2 years on old PR. After renewal of PR, she will spend one more year in Canada on new PR. My question is whether days spent on old PR counts towards her eligibility of citizenship?

2. Once applied for citizenship, can she travel out of country till she is asked to appear for test? Will there by any adverse effect of such travel on her citizenship application?

Thank you all in advance for your kind thoughts.
1. The days for citizenship starts from the day of landing as PR, regardless of how many PR cards you went through. It has no bearing on it qualifications towards citizenship. So 2 years under old PR card and 1 year under the new PR card will both still count towards citizenship.

2. You can travel out of Canada until appearance for test is required. However be prepared to get RQ request after writing your test. While you are writing the test, the officer will exam your passport and pull up CBSA travel records and see that you have left Canada (foreign country entry stamp) and recently returned Canada (CBSA entry record) to take the test.

harupit200281

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Thank you screech339 for your reply.
When they give RQ, does it mean that my wife would have to stay in Canada after test till she gets oath? Or she can give test and RQ and get back with me?

The situation is like this: I don't want to move to Canada. I am relinquishing my PR. However, my wife has her whole family in Canada and wants to become citizen. At the same time, we don't want to stay separated for too long. She has already stayed away from me for almost a year and I don't want to stay away more than 1 year.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
harupit200281 said:
Thank you screech339 for your reply.
When they give RQ, does it mean that my wife would have to stay in Canada after test till she gets oath? Or she can give test and RQ and get back with me?

The situation is like this: I don't want to move to Canada. I am relinquishing my PR. However, my wife has her whole family in Canada and wants to become citizen. At the same time, we don't want to stay separated for too long. She has already stayed away from me for almost a year and I don't want to stay away more than 1 year.
Having your wife come stay with you only to come back for citizenship tests and oath doesn't reflect well on her intentions on purpose of becoming a Canadian citizen. CIC agents will see that you are also living outside Canada as a PR. They may start to question her motives in becoming Canadian citizen while you are still living outside Canada. That may be one of the trigger of getting a RQ. A spouse still living outside Canada while applying for citizenship. They could perceive her actions as a means to get you to keep your PR status without having to maintain RO in Canada.

Just want to give you their possible perspective on your wife's action in applying for citizenship while you as a PR have no immediate plans or intention of moving back.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. CIC received application - October 2012.
2. CIC Started processing - March 2012
3. Pre test RQ received - September 2013
4. RQ sent back to CIC - October 2013

.... still waiting

harupit200281

Star Member
Jun 4, 2009
Thank you very much screech339 for your response.

I want to point out one thing here and appreciate if you could kindly shed more light.

I will not be PR when my wife applies for citizenship. Also, I dont thing I will be applying for PR unless my current employer shifts me to Canada. Given my education and experience, I am happy with current position and am not able to find any suitable job here. That has demotivated me a lot. However, my wife on the other hand wants to keep a safety net in case if something goes wrong in our relationship because all of her support system and family is in Canada.

Is there a possibility that she may not get citizenship after spending time away from me? Or is it possible that once RQ'd she has to come back to canada and stay there until issues are resolved?

Flocan

Apr 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cic officer pull up Cbsa travel records? I thought most of them did not have it?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Flocan said:
Cic officer pull up Cbsa travel records? I thought most of them did not have it?
Haven't you remembered in the citizenship application to give CIC granting permission to assess CBSA for travel records.

Screech339