+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Counting days.

Granger21

Dec 1, 2021
Hi Guys , I hope you all well
I have question about citizenship , i knew that we are counting the days after get positive decision and till we get permanent resident approval we counting 0.5 days. My question is are we counting our days before apply asylum in canada as a visitor ? I have checked in the website and they says yes we count but this is also included for asylum people ? and my other question is should we count visitor days till we get yellow paper with picture or after medical test etc.. Thank you :)

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have question about citizenship , i knew that we are counting the days after get positive decision and till we get permanent resident approval we counting 0.5 days. My question is are we counting our days before apply asylum in canada as a visitor ? I have checked in the website and they says yes we count but this is also included for asylum people ? and my other question is should we count visitor days till we get yellow paper with picture or after medical test etc.. Thank you :)
Days during which you claimed asylum and before positive decision is not counted.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is no. You can only claim credit for 1 year of pre-PR Time towards citizenship. So your days in Canada as a visitor before you applied for asylum will be too far in the past to be considered for the citizenship calculation.

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021
as per my knowledge
one year max will be counted from your Pre PR Period ( Work Permit Perioid )
and all days counted after COPR. Correct me the expert if i am wrong.
Thank you

Granger21

Dec 1, 2021
as per my knowledge
one year max will be counted from your Pre PR Period ( Work Permit Perioid )
and all days counted after COPR. Correct me the expert if i am wrong.
Thank you
Yes thats true but my question is will we count 0.5 days per day as a visitor before protected person ? and are we going to be protected person when we get our yellow paper ( officaly ) or the first when we apply for refugee claim ? for example i have 3 months gap between first apply and to get yellow paper to be offical refugee etc. so i can get 45 days from that gap as a visitor :) and my last question is are we protected person after to get yellow paper or to get positive decision from the court ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes thats true but my question is will we count 0.5 days per day as a visitor before protected person ? and are we going to be protected person when we get our yellow paper ( officaly ) or the first when we apply for refugee claim ? for example i have 3 months gap between first apply and to get yellow paper to be offical refugee etc. so i can get 45 days from that gap as a visitor :) and my last question is are we protected person after to get yellow paper or to get positive decision from the court ?
You can count your days as a visitor as long as you had valid visitor status and were not out of status. You are only a protected person after the positive court decision.

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
visitor can be counted but when you apply for citizenship so you will have to show only 5 years in Canada and as per these days' practice whenever you apply for citizenship your previous visitor period is void as most people visit here before claim like a year or two years before but if you claimed on the first visit it might count either if it is out of 5 years on time when you are applying for citizenship it will count as 0

Reactions: scylla