+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship change of family name

Zzander

Sep 22, 2015
I applied for citizenship with my family name change.
Then I received a letter asking me with some documents and is was hi-lighted in the letter
Says:
You have requested the name (my married name) on your citezenship certificate. To support this request,
Please send us:

a legal change of name document issued by a foreign government AND a copy your passport (or other autoritative foreign photo identification), both siplaying the new name.
I only have my passport that shows my last name when i was still single and i already submitted my marriage certificate together with my application, i have no idea what else to give them. And thingking i will just renew my passport after i got my citizenship.
Anybody anyone have the same problem?
Will highly appreciate your input

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately you cannot change your family name just like that in a citizenship application. It has to be changed first just as they had indicated. Now that you had send the application without formally changing the name, you can either:
1. Withdraw the application, change the name officially and then reapply
2. Explain that you don't need a name change now and have it as is.

Hope this helps

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajithpl said:
Unfortunately you cannot change your family name just like that in a citizenship application. It has to be changed first just as they had indicated. Now that you had send the application without formally changing the name, you can either:
1. Withdraw the application, change the name officially and then reapply
2. Explain that you don't need a name change now and have it as is.

Hope this helps
ajithpl is right. As far as I know you can only use your married name if you change/use it in your home country passport. I,personally,didn't even bother about which last name appears in my certificate. I didn't want anymore unnecessary delays....
BUT all my Canadian docs and IDs (DL,health card,SIN cards,bank cards even before my citizenship application and yes even my Canadian passport now) are all in my married name.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Zzander said:
I applied for citizenship with my family name change.
Then I received a letter asking me with some documents and is was hi-lighted in the letter
Says:
You have requested the name (my married name) on your citezenship certificate. To support this request,
Please send us:

a legal change of name document issued by a foreign government AND a copy your passport (or other autoritative foreign photo identification), both siplaying the new name.
I only have my passport that shows my last name when i was still single and i already submitted my marriage certificate together with my application, i have no idea what else to give them. And thingking i will just renew my passport after i got my citizenship.
Anybody anyone have the same problem?
Will highly appreciate your input
You can apply citizenship with your maiden name. Once you receive your citizenship certificate, apply for Canadian passport, you can show your marriage certificate to add your husband's surname.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-09-18.asp

You can read the "Name change" section in the citizenship instruction guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I have two last names, can I just drop one with the original application?

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont think so you can. That would also be treated as a name change and can also result in non-routine process.

I, to some extent succeeded in dropping one name. My full name in my home country passport was something like "ABC DEF GHI JKL" with 3 last names!. In the COPR, it came truncated as "ABC DEF GH" due to space limitations. I was able to take a driving license in BC with the name as "ABC DEF GHI". While I send my citizenship application, I requested to have the name as "ABC DEF GHI" and also stated that whatever CIC decides is ok with me. I was lucky to have the citizenship issued as the same " ABC DEF GHI" and my citizenship process was routine and completed with less than 7 months in this year.

Probably I was lucky to have the driving license issued the way I wanted!

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you. I'll stay with my two last names then. It's not really that much of a problem.