+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate Taking 15 Months ?

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
I have a question. If a child is born abroad to a Canadian Parent, he has to get a citizenship certificate. I checked the timeline and it's showing 15 months wait period. My question is what do parents do if they want to bring the kid back if the kid isn't eligible for a 2nd citizenship or 2nd citizenship doesn't give visa-free entry to Canada?

Does the newborn can't enter Canada or even if he does isn't eligible for any benefits & medical etc? Just curious. There must be some other way

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about the kid getting a visa to travel to the other parent's home country? Get a Canadian passport for the kid first. Then the kid can Canadian passport to travel to Canada. The child can get healthcare if it becomes a resident.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I have a question. If a child is born abroad to a Canadian Parent, he has to get a citizenship certificate. I checked the timeline and it's showing 15 months wait period. My question is what do parents do if they want to bring the kid back if the kid isn't eligible for a 2nd citizenship or 2nd citizenship doesn't give visa-free entry to Canada?

Does the newborn can't enter Canada or even if he does isn't eligible for any benefits & medical etc? Just curious. There must be some other way
Mostly due to covid. Looks like you had moved to the US before you received Canadian citizenship have you or your spouse returned to live in Canada since you left in 2016/17?

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mostly due to covid. Looks like you had moved to the US before you received Canadian citizenship have you or your spouse returned to live in Canada since you left in 2016/17?
Nop we never returned. Since the kid is also Born American Citizen due to us, it wouldn't be an issue for us. but I am curious what happens to kids who're not

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about the kid getting a visa to travel to the other parent's home country? Get a Canadian passport for the kid first. Then the kid can Canadian passport to travel to Canada. The child can get healthcare if it becomes a resident.
Yes but if the parents are only citizen of Canada . What happens in that case ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nop we never returned. Since the kid is also Born American Citizen due to us, it wouldn't be an issue for us. but I am curious what happens to kids who're not
They apply for a TRV. There are many examples when children have to wait to qualify for healthcare and benefits while it is determined they are citizens or they wait to be sponsored. If a child isn’t eligible for a second citizenship they can remain a PR if they don’t want to relinquish the other citizenship. You have to look at the requirements for each country.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They apply for a TRV. There are many examples when children have to wait to qualify for healthcare and benefits while it is determined they are citizens or they wait to be sponsored. If a child isn’t eligible for a second citizenship they can remain a PR if they don’t want to relinquish the other citizenship. You have to look at the requirements for each country.
Well but imagijne the kid is born in dubai which doesn't give right of birth so the kid can't even get any passport. I just found this interesting

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well but imagijne the kid is born in dubai which doesn't give right of birth so the kid can't even get any passport. I just found this interesting
They would need to wait until they received citizenship or a passport. These are things parents look into when having a child in another country and adjust their plans if needed.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes but if the parents are only citizen of Canada . What happens in that case ?
Parents only hold Canadian citizenships? Then the child is probably Canadian citizen. The child applies Canadian passport once received the certificate.