+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship certificate - Status while waiting

MastaRafa

Feb 19, 2017
Good morning,

I have a question related to the status of my daughter. She was born outside of Canada to a Canadian mother and according to the law she is a Canadian citizen. My daughter entered Canada on a tourist Visa and we applied for the Citizenship certificate within Canada. This process will take around 5 months to receive the proof of citizenship, but her tourist visa is limited only to three months. How is the situation? Do we have to extend her tourist visa or is there a regulation stating that our daughter can stay in Canada as long as her papers are being processed?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
No tourist visa needed. She's Canadian and legally lives in Canada, even without the papers to prove it. If you don't plan to leave the country in the coming months just wait for the certificate.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Good morning,

I have a question related to the status of my daughter. She was born outside of Canada to a Canadian mother and according to the law she is a Canadian citizen. My daughter entered Canada on a tourist Visa and we applied for the Citizenship certificate within Canada. This process will take around 5 months to receive the proof of citizenship, but her tourist visa is limited only to three months. How is the situation? Do we have to extend her tourist visa or is there a regulation stating that our daughter can stay in Canada as long as her papers are being processed?

Thank you.

Best regards.
As Seym said above. A Canadian has the right to stay in Canada as long as she wants, there is no need to extend any visa.

The only issues that might arise are if you need to prove her status, e.g. for health insurance applications or for school stuff.

But again, there is nothing illegal about staying in Canada without the certificate as long as you are sure that she is a Canadian citizen. The certificate is just a way to prove that.