+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate Pickup/Urgent mail

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
The electronic citizenship certificate is just a pilot at this point, so only offered to a small fraction of people. And probably 99% of people wouldn’t even want that, since it might not be as dependable as a physical certificate.
So let’s talk about realistic options - if your oath is virtual, then in order to get the certificate sooner, you can request urgent processing. I requested that during the ceremony registration, when talking to the IRCC officer in the zoom call. I mentioned I needed to travel for business in a few weeks, and (luckily) she accepted that and let me pick up the certificate two days later.
Well according to IRCC it is valid proof of citizenship (the E-certificate) and they said it can be used for passport applications but you are right chances of me being in the pilot project is basically winning the lottery.

As for the other options, my travel is not business travel nor is it due to death or illness.

Is it even worth asking then for quicker processing? The passport office accepts express and even urgent (next day) processing if you have proof of travel regardless of the reason for the travel. I don't understand why it isn't like that for urgent processing of the certificate.

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
We did our virtual oath on 25th and got our certificate on the 28th-hand delivered by purolator, so it is possible. If the travel is for work, you need a letter from the employer and the ticket booking. the clerk will ask before the ceremony if you have an urgent trip and ask you to send these documents with your signed oath form after the ceremony. make sure to send SAME day. Side note, the only accepted reasons for expediting is death in family or serious illness, work or school.
Sorry to clarify, you got it on the 28th but was that after requesting urgent processing? Or was that just normal processing?

My travel is not business related and it is also not due to the death or illness of a family member. So I'm wondering if it's even worth asking?

I wish there was an option to pay more for express shipping.

sugaredfects

Sep 27, 2022
Sorry to clarify, you got it on the 28th but was that after requesting urgent processing? Or was that just normal processing?

My travel is not business related and it is also not due to the death or illness of a family member. So I'm wondering if it's even worth asking?

I wish there was an option to pay more for express shipping.
We requested on the day of the virtual ceremony (25th) as there is a business trip on December so it is urgent processing. Before we cut our PR card and before the oath, the clerk will ask if you have an upcoming trip. Normal processing takes about 10 days from what I hear.

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
We requested on the day of the virtual ceremony (25th) as there is a business trip on December so it is urgent processing. Before we cut our PR card and before the oath, the clerk will ask if you have an upcoming trip. Normal processing takes about 10 days from what I hear.
Hmm alrighty, thank you.

I guess I'll try and ask during the ceremony and see what they say.

xt86

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
Well according to IRCC it is valid proof of citizenship (the E-certificate) and they said it can be used for passport applications but you are right chances of me being in the pilot project is basically winning the lottery.

As for the other options, my travel is not business travel nor is it due to death or illness.

Is it even worth asking then for quicker processing? The passport office accepts express and even urgent (next day) processing if you have proof of travel regardless of the reason for the travel. I don't understand why it isn't like that for urgent processing of the certificate.
You should definitely try asking for urgent processing of the citizenship certificate. I don’t think there are consistent rules regarding accepted justification, so just describe your reasons, and hopefully they’llbe accommodating.

Regarding the e-certificate, I don’t think it’s that simple. The physical certificate can be used in many circumstances where an e-certificate might not work. For example, children below age 16 can use their Canadian citizenship certificate to enter the United States at a land border (recognized by USA CBP). I doubt CBP would accept an e-certificate.

Reactions: iceman55

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
The physical certificate can be used in many circumstances where an e-certificate might not work. For example, children below age 16 can use their Canadian citizenship certificate to enter the United States at a land border (recognized by USA CBP). I doubt CBP would accept an e-certificate.
Do you think IRCC would issue you a document that would not be accepted? The world is slowly moving to digital documents anyways. The e-certificate is only a pilot for now. After one gets the passport there's no need to use the certificate anymore as CBSA can identify you with any ID card at the border

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
The physical certificate can be used in many circumstances where an e-certificate might not work. For example, children below age 16 can use their Canadian citizenship certificate to enter the United States at a land border (recognized by USA CBP). I doubt CBP would accept an e-certificate.
I am confused, I am pretty sure I read that it can be used at Service Canada/Passport Office to apply for a passport. As long as I can get the passport with an e-certificate why would there be any issues? I would not have to bring any certificate with me to travel if I have my passport correct? So why would CBP and them recognizing an e-certificate matter?

Not that I will get an e-certificate just curious.

Also does anyone know if you can get your "real" certificate even if you have gotten an e-certificate?

Reactions: snoopyta

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
I am confused, I am pretty sure I read that it can be used at Service Canada/Passport Office to apply for a passport. As long as I can get the passport with an e-certificate why would there be any issues? I would not have to bring any certificate with me to travel if I have my passport correct? So why would CBP and them recognizing an e-certificate matter?

Not that I will get an e-certificate just curious.

Also does anyone know if you can get your "real" certificate even if you have gotten an e-certificate?
Disregard persons stating their personal opinion as facts. Once you get a passport you do not need your certificate anymore. You can always ask for a replacement if you want a "real copy". Plus I'm sure going forward they'll just stick with e-certificates anyways because it saves time and money.

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
UPDATE
So I have just received my oath invitation email today (Nov 16) for my oath ceremony on Nov 29. Sadly the oath will be taking place online over zoom.
(Hamilton Office)

Here is the run down:
1. I am still flying out on December 22nd
2. I am not willing to risk postponing my ceremony to a later date.
3. Oath email says that the certificate takes 2-4 weeks to arrive after oath.
4. I am flying out for Christmas holidays, it is not due to family death or illness.

So what should I do? What should my next course of action be? Should I email them asap and tell them that I am travelling and ask to see if they could ship the certificate via expedited mail. I have a strong feeling they will just make me postpone my ceremony if I do this.

Or should I instead wait until I cut my PR card at the oath ceremony and then explain my situation. Worst case they say there is nothing they can do. That results in the universe deciding my fate because if I get my certificate by December 13 (2 weeks after oath) I can apply for urgent/express passport and still be able to fly out, however if it takes longer than 2 weeks for me to get my certificate I will not have enough time to get my passport before I fly out.

Advice anyone? Particularly if you've been in a similar situation as me.

Reactions: 747-captain

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
UPDATE
So I have just received my oath invitation email today (Nov 16) for my oath ceremony on Nov 29. Sadly the oath will be taking place online over zoom.
(Hamilton Office)

Here is the run down:
1. I am still flying out on December 22nd
2. I am not willing to risk postponing my ceremony to a later date.
3. Oath email says that the certificate takes 2-4 weeks to arrive after oath.
4. I am flying out for Christmas holidays, it is not due to family death or illness.

So what should I do? What should my next course of action be? Should I email them asap and tell them that I am travelling and ask to see if they could ship the certificate via expedited mail. I have a strong feeling they will just make me postpone my ceremony if I do this.

Or should I instead wait until I cut my PR card at the oath ceremony and then explain my situation. Worst case they say there is nothing they can do. That results in the universe deciding my fate because if I get my certificate by December 13 (2 weeks after oath) I can apply for urgent/express passport and still be able to fly out, however if it takes longer than 2 weeks for me to get my certificate I will not have enough time to get my passport before I fly out.

Advice anyone? Particularly if you've been in a similar situation as me.
Hello @MrStatic, can you please let me what your experience was and if your request for urgent processing was accepted? I am in a similar situation.

Reactions: NxBxS

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
Hello @MrStatic, can you please let me what your experience was and if your request for urgent processing was accepted? I am in a similar situation.
During my oath ceremony I had asked the officer if there was any way to pick up my certificate or have it express shipped. Sadly, the officer said there is no options like that because it would be unfair to others, however he said if we filled out the papers and sent them on the day of the ceremony he would ship it the next day and we would have them within a week. Waited exactly 7 days after the oath ceremony and got it. I already had my passport application filled out with the exception of the citizenship certificate part. The next day I went to the passport office in the morning right when they opened and they gave me a walk-in appointment for later that day. I asked for urgent processing of the passport and got my passport somewhere between 3-9 days. Basically everything worked out in the end and we got to go on our trip. I wish you the same luck!

satishkumar432

Aug 23, 2011
During my oath ceremony I had asked the officer if there was any way to pick up my certificate or have it express shipped. Sadly, the officer said there is no options like that because it would be unfair to others, however he said if we filled out the papers and sent them on the day of the ceremony he would ship it the next day and we would have them within a week. Waited exactly 7 days after the oath ceremony and got it. I already had my passport application filled out with the exception of the citizenship certificate part. The next day I went to the passport office in the morning right when they opened and they gave me a walk-in appointment for later that day. I asked for urgent processing of the passport and got my passport somewhere between 3-9 days. Basically everything worked out in the end and we got to go on our trip. I wish you the same luck!
Congratulations!!!

Could you explain a bit more on "filled out the papers and sent them" ? Is there a separate requisition form that we can fill to expedite the process?