+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate Pickup/Urgent mail

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
Hello, I'm kind of in an awkward situation. I booked a flight for December 22nd 2022 before I passed my citizenship test.

Of course, I just received information that my oath ceremony is on November 29th 2022

This means I have roughly 3 weeks after my oath ceremony to get my certificate and apply for urgent passport and physically receive my passport so I can still travel because my PR card will no longer be valid after the oath ceremony.

The passport office said with proof of travel they can process my passport and have it ready for pick up in 3 days.

The issue is I need my citizenship certificate so that I can apply for the passport. I have heard that it takes 2-4 weeks for them to mail the certificate and receive it after your oath ceremony. Obviously I do not have 4 weeks to wait for the certificate.

I am wondering if there is a way to request to pick up certificate during/after my oath. Or have it mailed express or something like that.

If anyone has done something like this please let me know the following.

1. How did you request it? Was it during the oath? Did you call or speak with someone. Did you email someone?

2. How long it took you to get your certificate after virtual oath ceremony. (Even if you didn't request an urgent mail/pickup)

Thank you

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hello, I'm kind of in an awkward situation. I booked a flight for December 22nd 2022 before I passed my citizenship test.

Of course, I just received information that my oath ceremony is on November 29th 2022

This means I have roughly 3 weeks after my oath ceremony to get my certificate and apply for urgent passport and physically receive my passport so I can still travel because my PR card will no longer be valid after the oath ceremony.

The passport office said with proof of travel they can process my passport and have it ready for pick up in 3 days.

The issue is I need my citizenship certificate so that I can apply for the passport. I have heard that it takes 2-4 weeks for them to mail the certificate and receive it after your oath ceremony. Obviously I do not have 4 weeks to wait for the certificate.

I am wondering if there is a way to request to pick up certificate during/after my oath. Or have it mailed express or something like that.

1. How did you request it? Was it during the oath? Did you call or speak with someone. Did you email someone?

2. How long it took you to get your certificate after virtual oath ceremony. (Even if you didn't request an urgent mail/pickup)

Thank you
I think it varies by office. What's yours?

iceman55

May 1, 2022

xt86

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
What do you mean by getting the certificate “during” the ceremony ? If your ceremony is virtual (i.e. on zoom video conference meeting) then you can’t physically receive anything during the ceremony. The only options for urgent processing are to receive it later, either by pickup or express delivery. You can try asking for that either during the ceremony, or beforehand.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Did they indicate whether your oath is Virtual or in-person? IRCC has also begun to do a few e-certificates for some selected persons. You can call to ask or send a webform if your travel is urgent.

Reactions: NxBxS

canvisa001

Star Member
Mar 2, 2018
What do you mean by getting the certificate “during” the ceremony ? If your ceremony is virtual (i.e. on zoom video conference meeting) then you can’t physically receive anything during the ceremony. The only options for urgent processing are to receive it later, either by pickup or express delivery. You can try asking for that either during the ceremony, or beforehand.
Not entirely correct anymore because they recently started issuing electronic citizenship certificates for online oath applicants. not everyone is getting the option while they pilot it.

Reactions: snoopyta

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
My writing wasn't clear, I meant is there a way to REQUEST it (urgent processing) during/after oath. Not actually getting the certificate.

Also as others have mentioned they are testing out the e-certificates (which you get pretty much right after oath) but unfortunately I happen to not be one of the people included as far as I am aware.

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
Did they indicate whether your oath is Virtual or in-person? IRCC has also begun to do a few e-certificates for some selected persons. You can call to ask or send a webform if your travel is urgent.
I am not sure yet technically. I only know my ceremony is on the 29th because that's what it says when I log into IRCC. It says that the email regarding the details will be sent 2-3 weeks before the ceremony.

However, their website does say that in-person ceremonies are suspended until further notice so I am assuming it is going to be virtual. (Even though I'm praying it isn't)

As for the E-certificate I am not sure when the option for it would appear if I were to be one of the people selected but as of right now I haven't gotten anything so I assume I am not involved in the pilot project.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
I am not sure yet technically. I only know my ceremony is on the 29th because that's what it says when I log into IRCC. It says that the email regarding the details will be sent 2-3 weeks before the ceremony.

However, their website does say that in-person ceremonies are suspended until further notice so I am assuming it is going to be virtual. (Even though I'm praying it isn't)

As for the E-certificate I am not sure when the option for it would appear if I were to be one of the people selected but as of right now I haven't gotten anything so I assume I am not involved in the pilot project.
There have been a few in-person ceremonies. I'll say wait till you get the oath email so you know what steps to take.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You can also try to get the passport outside Canada.

Reactions: iceman55

xt86

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
My writing wasn't clear, I meant is there a way to REQUEST it (urgent processing) during/after oath. Not actually getting the certificate.

Also as others have mentioned they are testing out the e-certificates (which you get pretty much right after oath) but unfortunately I happen to not be one of the people included as far as I am aware.
The electronic citizenship certificate is just a pilot at this point, so only offered to a small fraction of people. And probably 99% of people wouldn’t even want that, since it might not be as dependable as a physical certificate.
So let’s talk about realistic options - if your oath is virtual, then in order to get the certificate sooner, you can request urgent processing. I requested that during the ceremony registration, when talking to the IRCC officer in the zoom call. I mentioned I needed to travel for business in a few weeks, and (luckily) she accepted that and let me pick up the certificate two days later.

sugaredfects

Sep 27, 2022

Thank you
We did our virtual oath on 25th and got our certificate on the 28th-hand delivered by purolator, so it is possible. If the travel is for work, you need a letter from the employer and the ticket booking. the clerk will ask before the ceremony if you have an urgent trip and ask you to send these documents with your signed oath form after the ceremony. make sure to send SAME day. Side note, the only accepted reasons for expediting is death in family or serious illness, work or school.

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
There have been a few in-person ceremonies. I'll say wait till you get the oath email so you know what steps to take.
Really? Do you know which offices had in person ceremonies so far? If it were in person it would be a blessing.

MrStatic

Oct 29, 2022
You can also try to get the passport outside Canada.
You mean fly out on a non-Canadian passport and then request to passport outside of Canada? That sounds risky, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk having issues coming back into the country.