+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship calculation

Shong Lee

Jan 11, 2018
Hi

I would like to ask, how citizenship period is calculated. I mean as a refugee, should I have a permanent recidency card to be eligeble for Canadian citizenship? or just I can Apply for Canadian citizenship after 4 years without permanent recidency?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi

I would like to ask, how citizenship period is calculated. I mean as a refugee, should I have a permanent recidency card to be eligeble for Canadian citizenship? or just I can Apply for Canadian citizenship after 4 years without permanent recidency?

Thanks
1 Time in Canada as a refugee claimant is not counted

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hi

Thanks
You have to have the PR first, then you can apply the citizenship.

Shong Lee

Jan 11, 2018
You have to have the PR first, then you can apply the citizenship.
thanks for the reply. After I get my PR how long should i wait to apply for citzenship? kowing that I have been living in Canada as a student for five years. are the five years considered? or the calculation starts from the day i get my PR?
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks for the reply. After I get my PR how long should i wait to apply for citzenship? kowing that I have been living in Canada as a student for five years. are the five years considered? or the calculation starts from the day i get my PR?
Thank you
No - all five years are not considered. Only two years pre-PR are considered - and you only get a 1/2 credit for each day spent in Canada pre-PR. The rest of the days have to be after you become a PR.

Iyad717

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
HI

1 Time in Canada as a refugee claimant is not counted
No this is incorrect. As a Ref claimant, he/she will get half of the period spent before PR but max is one year. For example, if the claimant spent 2 years before PR, then 1 year is considered. If the claimant spent 3 years before PR, then also 1 year is considered and counted. Hope this helps

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

No this is incorrect. As a Ref claimant, he/she will get half of the period spent before PR but max is one year. For example, if the claimant spent 2 years before PR, then 1 year is considered. If the claimant spent 3 years before PR, then also 1 year is considered and counted. Hope this helps
1/ If the person is a refugee claimant and has no status in Canada, then time is not counted.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
You can use Google to easily get the answer from an official source which is canada.ca
However, here how it works:
You count half day for each day before getting your PR for the maximum of 1 year (As a Refugee NOT a Refugee Claimant)
You count 1 day per day after you get your PR.
When the total is 3 years, you can apply for Citizenship.

Shong Lee

Jan 11, 2018
You can use Google to easily get the answer from an official source which is canada.ca
However, here how it works:
You count half day for each day before getting your PR for the maximum of 1 year (As a Refugee NOT a Refugee Claimant)
You count 1 day per day after you get your PR.
When the total is 3 years, you can apply for Citizenship.
thanks for the reply
what about the time I spend as a refugee and before I get my PR is it counted?

Thanks

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
@Shong Lee - You are asking a question, I already answered and you quoted my answer. Just read it again slowly and if you can't see the answer, I am afraid you will need someone to translate it to you.