+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship by descent application in progress

AZbarbu

Apr 8, 2018
FYI, perhaps this would be helpful to others.

My mother was born in British Columbia of a Canadian mother and American father.

I am an American and currently reside in Arizona. I have lots of Canadian cousins in BC and AB, several of whom made me aware of the my likely eligibility of the Citizenship by Descent provisions

I applied for my Citizenship Certificate mailing a complete application package on 12/5/17 to the Sydney NS office.

The CIC website indicated it was received on 12/12/17 with a subsequent AOR mailed on 1/12/18.

On 3/16/16 the website indicated a letter was being sent for some follow up documentation. It took 15 days to receive the letter in Arizona (??).

The letter stated that I do have a claim to Canadian Citizenship and the documentation requested was simply to confirm what section of the Citizenship Act would apply.

The Citizenship Officer had a question about whether my mother's father had eventually immigrated to Canada or, alternatively, whether my mother had become a US Citizen at birth (e.g., as a dual US-Canada citizen). The documentation needed was any of the following items OR a written statement from me as to the circumstances.

1. Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization from the US for my mother, or

2. Confirmation of her father's Naturalization as a Canadian Citizen.

My mother had obtained a US Citizenship Certificate a number of years after my birth, a copy of which I forwarded to Sydney on 4/4/18.

I will make a comment once I have a complete disposition, but it appears positive.