+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application

crystal13

Jan 26, 2020
Hi. I will be submitting my citizenship application soon and had a few questions. Would appreciate it greatly if anyone can help.

1. is it ok to have overlapping period of employment as I worked in 2 places at one time. for example in the application form is it ok to write?
job from
/ job to / title of job
2017-12 / present / job A
2017-03 / 2018-05 / job B

I left working at Job B in May 2018 but was not unemployed at that time as I was working at the other job. So technically there are no gaps in my employment period but its overlapping. There is no continuity when I go from the last line of 2018-05 to above line of 2017-12.
Also is it ok to write 'present' or exact dates required??

2. the application asks for date when one became a citizen of the country one has citizenship for. I have written my date of birth as my home country (country of birth) didn't give any nationality document officially in the 1980s. I do not have a formal birth certificate so is it ok to write my DOB as the date I got citizenship of my home country (as the home country gives citizenship by birth)

3. Based on the online calculator of absence from Canada, what is the eligibility period

4. As an adult who is filling the form of a minor, my child changed name two times, but in the application form there is option of mentioning only one. What can be done about this so that I can mention both names

Thank you everyone!! Looking forward to your replies!!!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. Employment does not matter for citizenship, so yeah, you can answer whatever you like. You can say you were unemployed, working three jobs, whatever. As long as you were physically in Canada for the required period, it doesn't matter what job you did or did not have.

2. Yes

3. You need three years of physical presence in Canada in the last five years to be eligible for citizenship. 1095 days.

4. Not sure about this one.

crystal13

Jan 26, 2020
1. Employment does not matter for citizenship, so yeah, you can answer whatever you like. You can say you were unemployed, working three jobs, whatever. As long as you were physically in Canada for the required period, it doesn't matter what job you did or did not have.

2. Yes

3. You need three years of physical presence in Canada in the last five years to be eligible for citizenship. 1095 days.

Thank you very much! I hope someone can answer my last question as well

Sque

Star Member
Jan 11, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mississauga
LANDED..........
29-06-2014
Thank you very much!
hope someone can answer my last question too!
You should write a letter explaining the name changes and submit that along with name change documents.

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019

2. Yes

Dear 21Goose,
I am really sorry for hijacking the post but I have a question related to this.
Now I know that being unemployed is fine, but I have read that being unemployed for a long while might delay the application is that right?
People claim that because you are unemployed there is no solid proof of your physical presence in Canada or something of that sorts and hence this might trigger scrutiny, is that true?
Final question please, in order to submit a proof of residence in form of bills, renting contract etc, what should be submitted if for a period of 2 months an applicant has stayed with a friend rent free (looking for a job)

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear 21Goose,
Now I know that being unemployed is fine, but I have read that being unemployed for a long while might delay the application is that right?
People claim that because you are unemployed there is no solid proof of your physical presence in Canada or something of that sorts and hence this might trigger scrutiny, is that true?
Final question please, in order to submit a proof of residence in form of bills, renting contract etc, what should be submitted if for a period of 2 months an applicant has stayed with a friend rent free (looking for a job)
Well living rent free is fine, the only thing you can show them is your letters that has that address that you were loving there

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Dear 21Goose,
No, being unemployed will not delay the application. There's no such provision in the law.

However, if you are submitting an application with lots of documents in it that are harder to verify, then yeah, it can take longer. A simple application would go through a bit quicker.

For the proof of residence, you can show credit card/debit card statements. Presumably you spent some money while you were living there, so if you show a detailed statements that has lots of little transactions for things like food, gas, clothing, etc (all the normal things you spend on when you're living in a country - as opposed to transactions that are ONLY big ticket items like laptops etc), it's reasonable proof of residence. Also any mail you have received at your friend's house.

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
No, being unemployed will not delay the application. There's no such provision in the law.

However, if you are submitting an application with lots of documents in it that are harder to verify, then yeah, it can take longer. A simple application would go through a bit quicker.

For the proof of residence, you can show credit card/debit card statements. Presumably you spent some money while you were living there, so if you show a detailed statements that has lots of little transactions for things like food, gas, clothing, etc (all the normal things you spend on when you're living in a country - as opposed to transactions that are ONLY big ticket items like laptops etc), it's reasonable proof of residence. Also any mail you have received at your friend's house.
Thanks a lot for your reply, I know that the law doesnt state that at all but from what I read is that employment is the best proof of physical presence but what if someone was not working for a period of 6 or 7 months and going around different addresses like most new immigrants would do.
Also I have read that by implementing the new CBSA sharing exit and entry program, knowing for sure that the applicant was inside Canada is easier now compared to 2012, 13, and 14 where stuff like that caused almost an immediate questioning. Is that true ?