+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application with lost passport(s)

success12345

May 7, 2015
- I currently have a valid passport
- My previous passport(s) were stolen in 2019 and this period falls under my 5 year eligibility period.
- I have copies of the stolen passports which were made before 2018.
- I travelled to the USA in 2018 so this trip's entry/exit stamp isn't available in the passport copy mentioned above.
- Even the entry stamp of my first time Canadian entry is not available in the passport copy mentioned above.
- Should I attach the copy of stolen passports in Question 14th and provide explanation in LoE?
OR
- I shouldn't attach the copy of stolen passports in Question 14th and provide explanation in LoE?

Thanks!

wink

May 25, 2021
- Should I attach the copy of stolen passports in Question 14th and provide explanation in LoE?
OR
- I shouldn't attach the copy of stolen passports in Question 14th and provide explanation in LoE?

Thanks!
Your question is not accurate/clear. If you apply online, it does not ask you to submit passport copies. But for paper application, it is required while submitting.

For Q14, one need to list all the passports you held during the eligibility period irrespective of the status (expired/lost/valid) of those passports. And list the visas in Q13.

But it is better to write an LoE stating that you don't have one of the passport (listed in Q14) anymore and lost it. It is good idea because IRCC may ask you to provide passport copies (with stamps) at some point. At that point if you say you don't have it then it might be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: success12345

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
If you have a police report or any other record for the stolen passport, that can be submitted too.

As for the proof of your travels, Canada can access your entry/exit as well as US immigration info. They may request for an I-94 history or at the very worst a FOIA entry/exit request.

success12345

May 7, 2015
If you have a police report or any other record for the stolen passport, that can be submitted too.

As for the proof of your travels, Canada can access your entry/exit as well as US immigration info. They may request for an I-94 history or at the very worst a FOIA entry/exit request.
Thank you. I am all sorted out for the USA entry/exit dates.

I have already retrieved travel history from the official I94 website : https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

On the other hand, are you able to help me with the specific request that I need to put forth with FOIA?

I am accessing this website : https://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia/records

Your question is not accurate/clear. If you apply online, it does not ask you to submit passport copies. But for paper application, it is required while submitting.

For Q14, one need to list all the passports you held during the eligibility period irrespective of the status (expired/lost/valid) of those passports. And list the visas in Q13.

But it is better to write an LoE stating that you don't have one of the passport (listed in Q14) anymore and lost it. It is good idea because IRCC may ask you to provide passport copies (with stamps) at some point. At that point if you say you don't have it then it might be a problem.
Thank you. In the online application, it asks for the bio-page only. However, I am planning to attach the photocopies of bio-page, visas, departure/arrival stamped pages from the stolen passport and I will explain the situation along with the police report # in LoE. Sounds okay?

mopjedopje101

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
I had the same problem I applied online .

I did include the bio page of the lost passport and wrote a comment on it . As well I added the case report number that I was given at the police station.
That’s all.

success12345

May 7, 2015
I had the same problem I applied online .

I did include the bio page of the lost passport and wrote a comment on it . As well I added the case report number that I was given at the police station.
That’s all.
Thanks, Really appreciate. Which stage are you at currently if I may ask?

success12345

May 7, 2015
This is what I intend to write in the LOE apart from the usual salutation etc.

It is to be noted that my previous passports with identification numbers xxxxx and xxxx got stolen from my residence in xxx, ON in xxxxx. Toronto Police Service report number is xxxxx for reference.

Any thoughts?

mopjedopje101

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
This is what I intend to write in the LOE apart from the usual salutation etc.

It is to be noted that my previous passports with identification numbers xxxxx and xxxx got stolen from my residence in xxx, ON in xxxxx. Toronto Police Service report number is xxxxx for reference.

Any thoughts?
That’s perfect that’s what I wrote on mine.. the only thing I also wrote is the number of the new passport that replaced the stolen one

Last edited: