+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application with disability

ridwanzk

Jan 5, 2017
Hey

i am inquiring if my citizenship application would be affected if i declare that if i have new medical and mental health disorders recently discovered. I plan on declaring but would it affect the way they see my application? Would it delay or expedite my application in any way? Just wondering the pros and cons?

thanks
RK

saou17

Oct 18, 2021
App. Filed.......
28-10-2021
AOR Received.
21-01-2022
IRCC does NOT discriminate against applicants based on their medical history. So you should be safe if you want to disclose it for the purpose of accommodation. IRCC DOES NOT ask NOR require you to give any specifics about your illnesses/mental disorders or disabilities. The only time when this is asked is if you need any accommodation for the test or for filling out the application or during the interview. If you fill out the application with the help of somebody, you need to name that person as you complete your application. Hope this helps.

saou17

Oct 18, 2021
App. Filed.......
28-10-2021
AOR Received.
21-01-2022
You do NOT need to share your illness with anyone. Canadian Privacy laws protect you. You do not need to disclose your medical history to anyone, not even to IRCC.

ridwanzk

Jan 5, 2017
You do NOT need to share your illness with anyone. Canadian Privacy laws protect you. You do not need to disclose your medical history to anyone, not even to IRCC.
Hey. In the citizenship application, it asks if i have disability. I shouldn’t lie on the application i think

• Wow
Reactions: saou17

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hey. In the citizenship application, it asks if i have disability. I shouldn’t lie on the application i think
Yes, you may check that box in the application form. Rest assured, you will not be discriminated for checking that box.

If you need accommodations to be made for you such as a wheel chair ramp, brail test, sign language interpreter, or any other requirements for you to be able to complete or be exempt from test or interview, etc. please mention that on there as well (Q2). Exemption from test or language requirements might require notes from the doctor or a Canadian audiologist

See instructions here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Reactions: canuck78

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hey

i am inquiring if my citizenship application would be affected if i declare that if i have new medical and mental health disorders recently discovered. I plan on declaring but would it affect the way they see my application? Would it delay or expedite my application in any way? Just wondering the pros and cons?

thanks
RK

Declaring new medical and mental health disorders on your Canadian citizenship application is not necessarily a reason for your application to be denied. The Canadian government takes a compassionate approach to evaluating citizenship applications and recognizes that medical conditions can arise unexpectedly. It is always important to be honest and transparent when completing your application, and you should feel confident in disclosing any relevant information about your health.

That being said, it is possible that disclosing new medical or mental health disorders could affect the processing of your application. Depending on the severity of the condition and any required treatment, it could potentially cause a delay in the processing of your application while the immigration authorities assess the impact on your ability to meet the residence and physical presence requirements for citizenship.

It is important to keep in mind that the immigration authorities will consider the specific circumstances of your case when evaluating your application. It is always a good idea to consult with a licensed immigration lawyer or a qualified immigration professional for advice on your specific situation. They can help you understand the potential consequences of disclosing medical and mental health disorders on your citizenship application and provide guidance on how to proceed.

Medical inadmissibility is a term that refers to a person's inability to enter or remain in Canada due to their medical condition. This can occur when a person's medical condition is likely to cause excessive demand on Canada's health or social services.

Medical inadmissibility does not generally apply to citizenship applications, as citizenship is granted to people who are already living in Canada as permanent residents. However, if you are applying for permanent residence in Canada, and you have a medical condition that could potentially cause excessive demand on Canada's health or social services, you may be found medically inadmissible.

If you are found medically inadmissible, you may still be able to enter or remain in Canada if you can provide evidence that you have the financial resources to pay for your own medical treatment and care, or if you can show that you have a valid private health insurance plan.

If you have any concerns about medical inadmissibility and your eligibility for Canadian citizenship or permanent residence, it is recommended that you consult with an immigration lawyer or a qualified immigration professional for more information.

saou17

Oct 18, 2021
App. Filed.......
28-10-2021
AOR Received.
21-01-2022
Sounds like you DID NOT understand what I wrote. I HAVE NOT asked you to lie. First of all, you DID NOT mention that you have a DISABILITY! Second of all, there is NOWHERE in the application where IRCC asks you to mention your medical history, your mental illness, or any disorder you have. There is only ONE INSTANCE where you could possibly do so (if you want to) is if you require ACCOMMODATION when it comes to filling out the application or help filling it out. And again, as far as I remember, they did not ask about details of the disability. IRCC ONLY ASKS YOU TO MENTION IF YOU NEED ACCOMMODATION, and THAT'S IT!!!! For the accommodation, this is mostly so they can know more about the support that they could provide you in case you encounter a challenge during the application filling or doing the test or performing your oath or during an interview. Other than that, I HOPE YOU REFRAIN FROM ACCUSING PEOPLE OF LYING when they volunteer to answer a question in good faith., especially WHEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND NEITHER THEIR ANSWER NOR YOUR OWN RIGHTS!!! It sounds indeed that you don't know your rights in this country and need some education on privacy laws. You self-identify as someone with a disability as far as I could read now, and it's fine. You want to share your medical history with IRCC is also your choice!!! Medical history is what you spoke about initially, hence my answer about 'your right to privacy'

Maybe talking with a lawyer or IRCC hotline can help you understand how to fill out your application and the next steps. Again, All the best to you. I think this will probably be the last time I ever answer random questions from random individual like yourself in this forum! Bye!!

Last edited: