+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application Submitted - When will I be asked to submit original passports?

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Hi All,

I mailed my citizenship application today and have been told that it ll take about 70-80 days to receive acknowledgment of receipt (AOR). I also know that I ll be asked to submit original passport at some point during the application processing.

I wanted to go to my home country for the full month of January 2020. Do you think it ll be a good idea to book the tickets now? I am just concerned that if I am away and I get an email to submit original passports then it ll be a problem for me.

Thanks.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You'll never submit your passport for the citizenship application.
You only need to make sure you're available to attend the citizenship test and oath ceremony when the time comes.
And there's a chance you get invited for one of those next January. Let IRCC know that you'll be away after you have your AOR.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Online it says the processing time is 1 year. So, citizenship test is after one year?

How come I ll get a test in January, 2020 if processing time is 1 year?

Can you please elaborate the timeline?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The processing time ends with your oath ceremony, your test must be done before!
Also, 1 year is just indicative. Most people get their citizenship in less than that, but many need more time...

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
The processing time ends with your oath ceremony, your test must be done before!
Also, 1 year is just indicative. Most people get their citizenship in less than that, but many need more time...
Okay, can you tell me about the process? First I ll receive an AOR email, after that - what will be the next step? I mean, next email after this one will be for the test? (taking the process is going smooth & no other documents are required).

Can I choose the date for the test or I ll be provided a date in the email?