+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application returned, saying I am already a citizen.

Sukhman75

Aug 23, 2019
Following is the update I received, Please help me with this I am very confused as I never applied for citizenship before.

Hello,
We’re cancelling your application and refunding the fee because our records indicate that you’re already a Canadian citizen.
This message is not proof of your Canadian citizenship. To get a proof of your citizenship, you can

You can also check the services and information we offer for Canadians.
If you need more help,
contact us.

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Were you born in Canada or to Canadian parents (or grandparents)? If so, you are already a Canadian citizen (in the case of grandparents probably, if you were born before 2009 or are a beneficiary of a recent lawsuit relating to the 2nd generation cut-off). If not, what do you believe your current status in Canada to be?

You can request an ATIP of the GCMS notes here: https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do. Select Privacy Act so you don't have to pay the fee. This should tell you why they think you are already a citizen.

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Did you keep a copy of the application? Make sure all the information is correct including the UCI from your PR card

If it is, do the ATIP under the Privacy Act. Ask for your entire GCMS profile and all citizenship-related files.

It's possible they screwed up and approved a citizenship grant somebody else filed under your identity.

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
You can also resubmit the citizenship application but provide a copy of your PR card (either as ID or additional document and a letter of explanation) but it makes more sense to wait and find out what the ATIP request turns up. For ATIP request, it might be helpful for to include the return letter you got and a brief explanation, although asking for your GCMS profile and citizenship files should be sufficient.

priyakaurb

Apr 17, 2024
Following is the update I received, Please help me with this I am very confused as I never applied for citizenship before.

Hello,
We’re cancelling your application and refunding the fee because our records indicate that you’re already a Canadian citizen.
This message is not proof of your Canadian citizenship. To get a proof of your citizenship, you can

You can also check the services and information we offer for Canadians.
If you need more help,
contact us.
Hi,

Do you have any update on this? I received the same thing. Could you please guide me what to do next?

Thank you!

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Hi,

Do you have any update on this? I received the same thing. Could you please guide me what to do next?

Thank you!
Even if OP applied for the ATIP the same day I suggested it, they still likely won't have it because it usually takes 30 days. But they might have it on March 22 or 23.

I suggest you apply for an ATIP under the Privacy Act yourself.