Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
On my wife's citizenship application, we forgot to check yes or no for the question about giving consent to CBSA to disclose the details of my wife's history of travel to CIC. They returned it and highlighted the section in yellow where we need to checkmark. Can we check yes on the form that was highlighted in yellow by CIC, and submit it again, or should we print that page again?

Jim

Last edited:

jacquilim

Apr 17, 2012
On my wife's citizenship application, we forgot to check yes or no for the question about giving consent to CBSA to disclose the details of my wife's history of travel to CIC. They returned it and highlighted the section in yellow where we need to checkmark. Can we check yes on the form that was highlighted in yellow by CIC, and submit it again, or should we print that page again?

Jim
Hello - we made the same mistake and have just resubmitted the application. Are you able to tell me how long you then waited before your wife got the AOR notice for her application after you submitted it? I am hoping we won't have to wait another 2 months for AOR. Seems like a really inefficient system to check all the applications in an application package, put all the little photos in an envelope, indicate that 2/3 applications are completed, realise there is a mistake in one application, write a letter, send it back to us and then do the whole check all over again when we resubmit. This is how our tax dollars are being spent. I would have thought it would be more efficient to upload into their system the completed applications, send an email requesting correction and then proceed from there.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hello - we made the same mistake and have just resubmitted the application. Are you able to tell me how long you then waited before your wife got the AOR notice for her application after you submitted it? I am hoping we won't have to wait another 2 months for AOR. Seems like a really inefficient system to check all the applications in an application package, put all the little photos in an envelope, indicate that 2/3 applications are completed, realise there is a mistake in one application, write a letter, send it back to us and then do the whole check all over again when we resubmit. This is how our tax dollars are being spent. I would have thought it would be more efficient to upload into their system the completed applications, send an email requesting correction and then proceed from there.
Unfortunately that’s how IRCC works

dzei

Dec 5, 2018
It would certainly be more efficient to be able to do the application online. Or have Acrobat Reader check that everything is filled before printing (like IRCC does for some other applications). On the other hand, everyone in this forum knows that the system is the way it is and that missing a checkbox will result in a returned application. Compared to wasting months on sending/returning/resending/waiting for AOR, doing a double, triple and quadruple check of the application doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Reactions: GraceCan

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It would certainly be more efficient to be able to do the application online. Or have Acrobat Reader check that everything is filled before printing (like IRCC does for some other applications). On the other hand, everyone in this forum knows that the system is the way it is and that missing a checkbox will result in a returned application. Compared to wasting months on sending/returning/resending/waiting for AOR, doing a double, triple and quadruple check of the application doesn't seem like a bad idea.
doing it online would imply reducing the staff headcount at IRCC, I don't think they would easily let go of generous benefits ... so, never going to happen

canvan14

May 8, 2014
I agree, one need to be extra vigilant in checking their application for completeness before submission or risk wasting valuable time once the application gets sent back. You live and you learn I guess.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Are you able to tell me how long you then waited before your wife got the AOR notice for her application after you submitted it? I am hoping we won't have to wait another 2 months for AOR.
While the reports are not enough in number to confidently support predictions, most appear to indicate that the timeline depends on when the fixed application(s) arrive at CPC-Sydney, and thus are essentially in the same stream as other applications received on or around that time. Which mostly suggests the timeline to AOR will be comparable to applications submitted around the same date.

The caveat here is that at times two months to AOR is a good timeline . . . it can be slower.

. . . we made the same mistake and have just resubmitted the application. . . . Seems like a really inefficient system to check all the applications in an application package, put all the little photos in an envelope, indicate that 2/3 applications are completed, realise there is a mistake in one application, write a letter, send it back to us and then do the whole check all over again when we resubmit. This is how our tax dollars are being spent. I would have thought it would be more efficient to upload into their system the completed applications, send an email requesting correction and then proceed from there.
Applicants do not need to apply together. There are many reasons, good reasons, why most families want to apply together. The downside is well-known: a problem with one of the applicants (or in this instance, one of the applications) holds up the whole group. Whether to apply together or individually is a very personal decision.

Otherwise . . . Yes, it is indeed a waste of taxpayer dollars when incomplete or otherwise ineligible applications are submitted and the government must allocate resources to examine and deal with them.

And sure, the government could far more efficiently simply screen applications and if the application falls short of meeting all the requirements, including falling short of making a complete application, simply DENY the application, send an explanation why, and keep the processing fees. My guess is that there are scores of applicants with applications in process, those who submitted complete applications, who would prefer the resources IRCC allocates to facilitating applicants who do not make a proper application were instead applied to processing their complete and proper applications. To improve the processing times for those who do submit complete and proper applications.

I am no expert on how to design complex applications for matters as momentous as seeking a grant of citizenship from a sovereign nation. But of course over the years I have seen how complicated it can be. This or that change can fix one thing but lead to other confusions or complications. So I am NOT offering an opinion about second-guessing the application form design. . . . Even though there have been some particular problems readily identified needing a fix; indeed, I was among many who right away criticized item 9.c. in the 10-2017 version, and again as to the 06-2018 version of the application, but which was finally fixed in the the 01-2019 version.

But I suspect that at least MOST of those who make mistakes that result in a failure to make a proper application will appreciate NOT being summarily rejected, not having to start a whole new application, and not having to pay processing fees again, if there is an available alternative way to fix and resubmit the application. (In contrast, applications made before the applicant actually meets the qualifications cannot be fixed, for example, and likewise for other disqualifying factors.)

AND for sure, the sooner in the process a reason an application fails to meet the requirements is identified, and addressed (outright rejection if the problem is disqualifying; or procedure allowing applicant to fix and proceed is offered for applications that can be fixed), the less resources are wasted. Imagine being scheduled for the test and interview 12 or 16 months after applying, and the interviewer pointing out something missing in the application and saying now you have to start all over again.

BUT blaming the government for the applicant not making a proper application, that will not fly, not far anyway.