+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application returned due to passport

Jun 26, 2020
Hello all,

Our citizenship application was returned by giving the following reasons

1. The passport or travel document provided do not cover the entire 5 year period preceding the date of your application. You also have not provided an explanation of any gaps in passport validity or why the required documents are not in your possession. Please send us a photocopy of the biological page of all passports or travel documents you have had during the relevant 5 year period or any required explanation.

P.S. we had expired passports. Is it because of that?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hi
When did you apply and when did you receive your application after it was returned? For your passport it doesn't has to be valid when you apply. It just needs to cover the five years eligibility periods, if it's does not cover the 5 years explain why in the application.

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
Hello all,

1. The passport or travel document provided do not cover the entire 5 year period preceding the date of your application. You also have not provided an explanation of any gaps in passport validity or why the required documents are not in your possession. Please send us a photocopy of the biological page of all passports or travel documents you have had during the relevant 5 year period or any required explanation.

Expired passport is not a reason for returning the application, You missed the Gap explanation and previous 5 year passport bio pages covering the application date.
Can you tell us what date you sent the application and when application was returned back to you

Engmemo2020

May 4, 2020
Hello all,

Please share with us when did you sent your application and when they received and when they return it to you .. and did you request urgent process... make sure to send a copy from all passport you have .. it looks like the copy which you sent the time on it was less than the 5 years

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello all,

Did you have any passport that expired during the past 5 years and you moved to a new passport during that time? If so, did you furnish both the passports to IRCC in your 5 year eligibility period? Sounds like that may be the reason.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello all,

You should have included an explanation why you did not renew your passports after they expired—such as, no foreseeable travel plans. That was all you needed to do. It was all explained in the instructions and in the returned application letter.

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
I sent my application last month. My passport didnt cover the entire 5 years eligibility period as it was expired in Sept 2018.
I explained in table B of Q14 that why I didnt bother to renew passport as I had no intention to travel abroad. I also provided bigraphical page of the expired passport.

However, I forgot to put expired passport detail like place of issue, date of issue, date of expiry etc in table A of Q14 of the citizenship application form.

Although IRCC can see the same detail in the passport copy submitted. However, I am now worried that IRCC may reject my application due to not putting that detail in the Q14.
Any advice please?
Thanks in advance.

Spartan73

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Hi everyone
I have a question if anyone had similar issue or know anything about it. I applied for citizenship on june 14 through my representative. I was just going through the copy she send me and i found out that she made a spelling mistake in the city/town of birth . What should i do about it ? Do i just wait or is it going to be returned for that spelling mistake? If anyone know anything please reply
Thanks in advance

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi everyone
I have a question if anyone had similar issue or know anything about it. I applied for citizenship on june 14 through my representative. I was just going through the copy she send me and i found out that she made a spelling mistake in the city/town of birth . What should i do about it ? Do i just wait or is it going to be returned for that spelling mistake? If anyone know anything please reply
Thanks in advance
It's not going to be returned for that reason.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello all,

basically you did not send all the passport you have had en 5 years

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi everyone
Thanks in advance
I don't think it would be returned for this issue. I don't have experience with this but seems unlikely.

How big is the spelling mistake? Or did the consultant manage to end up giving a different city altogether?

Spartan73

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
I don't think it would be returned for this issue. I don't have experience with this but seems unlikely.

How big is the spelling mistake? Or did the consultant manage to end up giving a different city altogether?
Hi thanks for ur reply
She just added an extra S alphabet in the spelling of the city
Do you think it be returned for that reason ?