+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application returned because of passport gaps?

achp

Jun 15, 2016
Hello, my application was considered incomplete and it was sent back to me.

It says: "The passport(s) or travel document(s) provided do not cover the entire 6 year period preceding the date of your application, or since you became a Permanent Resident, whichever is more recent. You also have not provided an explanation of any gaps in passport validity or why the required document(s) is not in your possession."

They kindly explained it to me but I am not so sure what is wrong because the application was sent on June of 2016 and my passports cover from 2008 to now. Also, there is no "gap" in passports since I always renewed them before they expire.

I currently have three South Korean passports(two of them were replaced before expired) and I sent the copies of the biographical page for all of them.

Passport #1
Date of Issue: May 28, 2008
Date of Expiry: May 28, 2013

Passport #2
Date of Issue: September 09, 2010
Date of Expiry: September 09, 2015 <- highlighted by CIC

Passport #3
Date of Issue: July 02, 2015 <- highlighted by CIC
Date of Expiry: July 02, 2020

For some reason, CIC highlighted the "Date of issue" on passport 3, and the "date of expiry" on passport 2 and attached the incomplete application form with them. So what is exactly wrong with my application? And if they are doing this because I replaced the passport before it expired, what should I write on the explanation letter? Also, as far as I am concerned, there are no "gaps" in them since all of my passports are issued before they expire.

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just explain these in a letter, enclose a copy of the passport (showing the dates only) and send it back. That should be fine. Will not affect your timelines much.

joseph18

Star Member
Apr 30, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A friend of mine is in the same situation as you are. However, there was a gap of 40 days between the old and new passports. The dates were also highlighted. I told her to write an explanation letter stating why the passport was not renewed before it expired and also that she never left the country in that 40 days. Also, her application was sent back twice and the dates were not highlighted that first time it was sent back.

The only thing that I can see in your case is that maybe they are assuming that you were still using the older passport instead of the new one because technically it is still valid. You can just include in your letter of explanation any activities occurred in the overlapping months. Or, I am also considering the fact that they may have just overlooked the dates on the passports thinking that it was expired for about 10 months before it was renewed. So you can just tell them that the photocopies of the biographical pages of the passports that you sent them cover the "entire" 6 years preceding the date of application or since you became a permanent resident.

Just to be on the safer side, you can include both explanations mentioned above hoping that the chances of your application being sent back to you again will be less.

I hope that you can get your AOR after you send your application back to them.

All the best.

EIN_3

Dec 5, 2013
Hello, my application was considered incomplete and it was sent back to me.

It says: "The passport(s) or travel document(s) provided do not cover the entire 6 year period preceding the date of your application, or since you became a Permanent Resident, whichever is more recent. You also have not provided an explanation of any gaps in passport validity or why the required document(s) is not in your possession."

They kindly explained it to me but I am not so sure what is wrong because the application was sent on June of 2016 and my passports cover from 2008 to now. Also, there is no "gap" in passports since I always renewed them before they expire.

I currently have three South Korean passports(two of them were replaced before expired) and I sent the copies of the biographical page for all of them.

Passport #1
Date of Issue: May 28, 2008
Date of Expiry: May 28, 2013

Passport #2
Date of Issue: September 09, 2010
Date of Expiry: September 09, 2015 <- highlighted by CIC

Passport #3
Date of Issue: July 02, 2015 <- highlighted by CIC
Date of Expiry: July 02, 2020

For some reason, CIC highlighted the "Date of issue" on passport 3, and the "date of expiry" on passport 2 and attached the incomplete application form with them. So what is exactly wrong with my application? And if they are doing this because I replaced the passport before it expired, what should I write on the explanation letter? Also, as far as I am concerned, there are no "gaps" in them since all of my passports are issued before they expire.
Hello,
Would you mind share the details of your explanation letter for this case? My wife's passport details are overlapping and I would like to use your explanation as a sample for our case and send it with our application.
Appreciate your help regarding this matter and I hope you got your citizenship :)

Apr 4, 2021
Hello, I need some help here
My old passport expired on 22 June 2019 and my new passport was issued on 20th August 2019. So there is a 59-day gap on my passport. In reality, I applied on the 16th of August for my passport. I can give an explanation for this gap but is it going to be an issue?
Please help

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello, I need some help here
My old passport expired on 22 June 2019 and my new passport was issued on 20th August 2019. So there is a 59-day gap on my passport. In reality, I applied on the 16th of August for my passport. I can give an explanation for this gap but is it going to be an issue?
Please help
1. No issue, no requirement to have a valid passport for citizenship.

Reactions: namrata_sha123

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
Hello,
Would you mind share the details of your explanation letter for this case? My wife's passport details are overlapping and I would like to use your explanation as a sample for our case and send it with our application.
Appreciate your help regarding this matter and I hope you got your citizenship :)
Hello

I have the same case, my old and renewed passport are overlapping. Reading this thread, it looks like I have to explain it. Can you please share your experience and how did you explain it in a letter?

Thank you so much

nm.narmawala

Feb 15, 2023
Hi
I have a gap of 9 months in my wife's passport and 13 months in my both kids's passports, between expired and new passport. I am very confused. What explanation should I mention in the citizenship form ?
Please help/guide me.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi
I have a gap of 9 months in my wife's passport and 13 months in my both kids's passports, between expired and new passport. I am very confused. What explanation should I mention in the citizenship form ?
Please help/guide me.
You can mention eg passport no renewed because of no urgent travel requirements e.g due to Covid