+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application questions

LongDistance

Apr 1, 2014
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the citizenship application. a very very quick background first:

2003-2008 in Canada as a student on student visa
2008 moved to Dubai to continue studying
2010 landed immigrants (no connection with time in Canada as a student)
after staying for a month, moved back to Dubai to finish up my studies which finished July of 2012
July 2012 permanently moved back to Canada
2015 renewed my PR card

fast forward to today: eligible to apply for citizenship, have a straightforward case; I meet the physical presence requirements, have filed my taxes since acquiring my PR in 2010, have had steady employment since 2013 and so on.

QUESTIONS:

1)
When asked when did i first come to live here, do i write 2003 when i came on student visa or 2010 when i became a PR?!

2) Regarding taxes; I've had my taxes filed since 2010 when i became PR although i didn't live here in 2010 and 2011. Is this OK and should i mention it on the application form? In the application, it mentions meeting the applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file a return in respect of 4 taxation years that are fully or partially within the 6 years immediately before the date of your application. so maybe i should only mention the past 4 years; 2012,2013,2014 and 2015 where i was actually living here?

maybe i'm reading too much into this and overanalyzing it but your help would be appreciated as i've been waiting for this day far too long.

thanks,

bennyameh

Dec 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have two questions to determine physical presence,

when i came on student visa 2003
when i became a PR-2010

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LongDistance said:
QUESTIONS:

1)
When asked when did i first come to live here, do i write 2003 when i came on student visa or 2010 when i became a PR?!

2) Regarding taxes; I've had my taxes filed since 2010 when i became PR although i didn't live here in 2010 and 2011. Is this OK and should i mention it on the application form? In the application, it mentions meeting the applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file a return in respect of 4 taxation years that are fully or partially within the 6 years immediately before the date of your application. so maybe i should only mention the past 4 years; 2012,2013,2014 and 2015 where i was actually living here?
1. You should answer "2003". There is another place where you need to provide as to when you became a PR and there you can give the PR date. You may give a summary as given done here in the covering letter (optional).
2. No need of any other period outside the 4 years.
Good luck!

LongDistance

Apr 1, 2014
Hey Guys,

One more question. In the application form for citizenship, there's a part where it asks if i'm a citizen of another country which i answered yes and specified. but in another question, it's asking if i have permanent residence status or equivalent in other country than Canada. Do i answer yes again and specify where my original citizenship is from?

thanks,

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LongDistance said:
Hey Guys,

One more question. In the application form for citizenship, there's a part where it asks if i'm a citizen of another country which i answered yes and specified. but in another question, it's asking if i have permanent residence status or equivalent in other country than Canada. Do i answer yes again and specify where my original citizenship is from?

thanks,
No. Unless you have another status like Green Card for US then you put no. It asks for permanent resident status which is distinct different from Citizenship.