+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application question 6 J - required to file taxes?

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
Hi Everyone,

My wife is filling her Citizenship application and we are not sure if she was required to file taxes the first couple of years since her income was less than Basic Income. She filed her taxes for those years anyways, but we are wondering if we should fill question 6J by saying that she is required to file taxes for those years or not even though she filed all years anyways.

Thanks,
Tony

mqadri

Star Member
Mar 9, 2009
yes, you should tick required. it's perfectly legal to file a tax return showing zero income.

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
yes, you should tick required. it's perfectly legal to file a tax return showing zero income.
Thank you Mqadri, i thought you are not requires to file taxes if your income is low enough that you are not required to pay taxes.. is it normal to answer No to "required to file" and Yes for the "taxes filed".

Thanks

Jesuslovesyou

Apr 13, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

My wife is filling her Citizenship application and we are not sure if she was required to file taxes the first couple of years since her income was less than Basic Income. She filed her taxes for those years anyways, but we are wondering if we should fill question 6J by saying that she is required to file taxes for those years or not even though she filed all years anyways.

Thanks,
Tony
Yes, you should. I made that omission but thank God during my interview after the test, the officer checked that for me. Yes, place a tick in those boxes.

tonymiz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2016
Yes, you should. I made that omission but thank God during my interview after the test, the officer checked that for me. Yes, place a tick in those boxes.
Thank you!! You mean tick yes to both or No for "required" and yes for filed?

Thanks again!