waived
Passport Req..
May 11, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 4, 2016
LANDED..........
July 2, 2016
Hello forumers,

I am posting for someone who is not required to take the citizenship test due to age. Just wondering what would be the expectation from the applicant in relation to general knowledge about Canada?

Reactions: qorax

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello forumers,

I am posting for someone who is not required to take the citizenship test due to age. Just wondering what would be the expectation from the applicant in relation to general knowledge about Canada?
SInce you're not required to take the test, your knowledge about Canada won't be tested at all. All you will have to do, is appear for the interview during which they will verify your identity, originals of all submitted supporting documents, your passport stamps/visas, and possibly a quick chat about your life, family, travels etc ... all basic personal questions. If all goes well, then oath.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hello forumers,

@razerblade is correct. My cousin was 55, he didn't even face an interview.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Interesting. I thought the interview was mandatory for all, based on two other > 55 years old applicants on this forum. Both had to appear for the interview. Good to know!
This is what I expect as well, if only to verify original documents that were used to support the application. I will be extremely surprised and concerned if not interviewed...

Reactions: qorax

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Generally, currently, ALL adult grant citizenship applicants must attend an interview during which the applicant presents originals of supporting documents.

This was not always the practice, but the exceptions were not related to the test and language exemptions based on being above a specified age (the age exemption has usually been 55+ but for a few years was 65+).

To the extent there may be any current exceptions, the exception is NOT based on the exemption from language and knowledge of Canada requirements for those 55+.

Thus, the anecdotal report that an individual 55+ was not required to attend an interview is almost certainly NOT due to or related to the fact the individual was at least 55 years old, but rather is either a coincidence OR an anomaly (odd stuff sometimes happens).

In any event, the 55+ plus applicant can expect to be scheduled for an interview and required to present originals of supporting documents during the interview and to answer at least a few perfunctory questions, and possibly be subject to more probing questions (if, for example, IRCC has any questions about meeting the qualifying requirements, especially as to physical presence).

Lavlie

Mar 25, 2018
I'm 55 years old and want to apply citizenship, do i still need to fill-up application form?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Is that the forms same as for under 55 years old checklist that I need to follow
Everything is the same, except that you don't need proof of language and later during the process you won't have to take the test. Apart from that you have to follow the regular instructions.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Is that the forms same as for under 55 years old checklist that I need to follow
If you go read the page I linked to you'll find, in the left hand column menu, an item labeled "Apply" which lists the step to take.

The first step on that list is to get an application package. The following options exist:
Pick the one that applies to you, and then follow the instructions in the guide for that particular category.

Please go read the steps outlined on the "Apply" page, as they contain relevant information. Don't just follow one of the links in the bit I quoted above, as you would miss part of the information you need to be aware of.

If you expect to have difficulty following all those steps you can ask someone to help you (there is relevant information on such representatives; it is important you read that page as you may need to declare their help in your application). The person to help you can be an unpaid friend or family, or can be someone you hire to help you. If you hire someone to help you, they must be authorized (that page tells you how you can check if the person you hired is authorized).

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
Hello forumers,

I am 66 and applied in September 2017, through the Vancouver office. I WAS required to attend an interview with my original documents (Record of Landing, passport, 2nd government-issued ID). The immigration officer reviewed my CSBA records against my physical presence calculator, and found one trip I had forgotten (!) but which was easily explained and still left me with the required number of days for physical presence.

akaribrahmama

Feb 21, 2020
I am 66 and applied in September 2017, through the Vancouver office. I WAS required to attend an interview with my original documents (Record of Landing, passport, 2nd government-issued ID). The immigration officer reviewed my CSBA records against my physical presence calculator, and found one trip I had forgotten (!) but which was easily explained and still left me with the required number of days for physical presence.
That seems to be a reasonably faster time line compared to average! nice to know