+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application - name on passport questions

Fergie1993

Mar 22, 2024
Hi all,

I will be starting my citizenship application soon and have a strange situation with my ID documents.

So I'm from Ireland and my name is lets say "David Sullivan". My passport that I applied for Permanent Residence with had this name.

Once I received my PR Card and moved to Canada, my Irish passport expired and I renewed the passport online from Canada. However, when I renewed my Irish passort I ended up using the Irish/ Gaelic version of my name for the renewal (I use both names and have legal name change documents in Ireland detailing such). So my new passport now has my name as "Daithi O' Suileabhain".

The new passport on the second page has a comment printed "Previous Passport Name: David Sullivan, Passport Number XYZ123123".

So my question is, when I submit the documents for my citizenship my PR Card and Canadian Drivers License will have my name in English, and my passport will have my name in Irish (with a reference to my English name and the passport I applied for PR with).

Would anyone have encountered this issue before? Could I still proceed with the citizenship application in my English name? Or would IRCC flag it as an inconsistency in the application?

I can't find any information on this online, so hoping somewhere here can advise.

Thanks in advance!

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
In case of doubt, use a letter of explanation and tell IRCC exactly what you wrote.
Make sure the passport bio page you provide include the second page with your English name, and provide a copy of your Irish name change document.
This should satisfy IRCC.