+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application - Minor

manu.m

Sep 7, 2018
I was able to contact the school board that my child goes to and they we able to do up a copy of the Student Record with his picture and states his date of birth and current address. This, I'm hoping, would suffice as "School record".
Hi RDadan,

How long did it take for the school to give you the School Record?

Thanks
M

RDadan

Jul 19, 2018
Hi RDadan,

How long did it take for the school to give you the School Record?

Thanks
M

I really lucked out on this. The nice lady that picked up the phone at the PDSB happened to have gone to the same school my son goes to (just 30 years ago - what are the odd's???). I thought that since I was calling during the summer holiday's I'd be asked to wait until school re-opened and to get in touch with them. But when I relayed the urgency of the matter but she genuinely seemed to want to help and was kind enough go through her system to look at what she could give me that had all the info I was looking for and had the option to print it with a student picture.

She was able to generate something called a "Student Extract" that has all the details and our address per the schools records. She was able to do it for me over the phone and I just had to go to their office and pick it up by showing a piece of ID. All in all it took less than a 10 minute call (that included a great deal of groveling on my part LOL) and 5 minutes drive to their office which happened to be across the road from my work place.

manu.m

Sep 7, 2018
I really lucked out on this. The nice lady that picked up the phone at the PDSB happened to have gone to the same school my son goes to (just 30 years ago - what are the odd's???). I thought that since I was calling during the summer holiday's I'd be asked to wait until school re-opened and to get in touch with them. But when I relayed the urgency of the matter but she genuinely seemed to want to help and was kind enough go through her system to look at what she could give me that had all the info I was looking for and had the option to print it with a student picture.

She was able to generate something called a "Student Extract" that has all the details and our address per the schools records. She was able to do it for me over the phone and I just had to go to their office and pick it up by showing a piece of ID. All in all it took less than a 10 minute call (that included a great deal of groveling on my part LOL) and 5 minutes drive to their office which happened to be across the road from my work place.
Thank you very much, that was really helpful. We are with YDSB, I will call them and check for the process to get the Student Extract. I am hopping to send my application before the end of September

RDadan

Jul 19, 2018
Thank you very much, that was really helpful. We are with YDSB, I will call them and check for the process to get the Student Extract. I am hopping to send my application before the end of September

Good Luck!

Toronto456

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
Minor application also takes one year or it get process faster if applying alone (Provided one of the parent is Canadian citizen).

manu.m

Sep 7, 2018
Good Luck!
I got the Student Record with Photo from school..just like you said, I called the office and the admin staff printed the record while on the phone and sent it with my son. We are all set to post our application on Monday.

truedeath

May 1, 2018
Hi, My wife got citizenship(family sponsorship) on January 2016.
My son Got PR (family sponsorship) on December 2017.
I got PR (family sponsorship) on June 2018.

My son was out of Canada for most of the time after getting the PR. He started staying in Canada since May 2018. he is now going to school here he has the health card.

Can my wife now apply for my child's citizenship?

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
Hi, My wife got citizenship(family sponsorship) on January 2016.
My son Got PR (family sponsorship) on December 2017.
I got PR (family sponsorship) on June 2018.

My son was out of Canada for most of the time after getting the PR. He started staying in Canada since May 2018. he is now going to school here he has the health card.

Can my wife now apply for my child's citizenship?
Yes you can apply.

Should be easier if you have added him in your process for citizenship or in your wife process since for kids (under 18 years of age) they did not carry about how long they were in Canada.

Now If you will apply to him as minors (persons under the age of 18) who are permanent residents of Canada and who already have a Canadian parent. Please, see:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html

Note: A guardian may file an application on behalf of a minor child as long as the child has at least one parent who is a Canadian citizen.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

truedeath

May 1, 2018
Yes you can apply.

Should be easier if you have added him in your process for citizenship or in your wife process since for kids (under 18 years of age) they did not carry about how long they were in Canada.

Now If you will apply to him as minors (persons under the age of 18) who are permanent residents of Canada and who already have a Canadian parent. Please, see:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html

Note: A guardian may file an application on behalf of a minor child as long as the child has at least one parent who is a Canadian citizen.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html
when she applied, my son was not a PR. My son got his PR after she got the citizenship.

and my confusion is as i have to mention that he was out of country for more than a year after he recieved his PR will that be a problem?

Regards

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
when she applied, my son was not a PR. My son got his PR after she got the citizenship.

and my confusion is as i have to mention that he was out of country for more than a year after he recieved his PR will that be a problem?

Regards
Citizenship Through Parents is easier because the kids days does not count, I did it with my son.
So I was able to use the form subsection (5(2)),

BUT IF you request your child as an independent process [subsection 5(1) form]
then it will be counted.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-minors-subsection-5-11.html
This application under subsection 5(1) is intended for minors (under 18) who are permanent residents and:
- do not have a parent applying for citizenship at the same time as them

So even though your wife is considered as Canadian now, it doesn't matter IF your son process will not be together with any parents process.

Because your son will be the main applicant, THEN the time will count...

To be eligible under 5(1), since becoming a permanent resident, the minor must have:
  1. been physically in Canada for at least 1095 days in the five years before applying
SO MY ADVICE is to wait until you start your own process and add him. :D

Last edited: