+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application - Language proof

kunalap

Star Member
Jul 30, 2009
Hi.
I am preparing my citizenship application for wife, son and myself.

Since my son is 6, I know he doesnt need to prove any language ability.
For me, I have a transcript of my Masters from a US university - so I am good too.

However, for my wife, she has a Masters from a University in Mumbai, India. Rest of her education was also in Mumbai, India. Will that transcript suffice? Or the diploma / mark sheet etc. suffice? It will all be in English.

Or do I need to sign her up for one of the English exams to prove ability? I had given IELTS during PR application and since I was primary, she never had to give any exam at the time.

Thanks.

kunalap

Star Member
Jul 30, 2009
thanks.
wow. i don't think indian transcripts mention the "medium of education". will have to double check them once i get home.

dilshad_mech

Oct 1, 2014
Hi.

For me, I have a transcript of my Masters from a US university - so I am good too.

However, for my wife, she has a Masters from a University in Mumbai, India. Rest of her education was also in Mumbai, India. Will that transcript suffice? Or the diploma / mark sheet etc. suffice? It will all be in English.

Or do I need to sign her up for one of the English exams to prove ability? I had given IELTS during PR application and since I was primary, she never had to give any exam at the time.

Thanks.
Have they accepted your wife's Masters credentials as proof of English language requirement?

irishibanez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Visa Office......
Calgary
Hi.

Thanks.
I had my Diploma from the Philippines assessed by IQAS, and that document said something about language of instruction as english so I guess that’s why mine got accepted

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Diploma/Degree/Certificate obtained from education outside Canada must show the medium of teaching is either English or French. This must be showed on the document for it to be accepted.
From CIC website,

Did you or do you attend a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French?
The program can be in or outside Canada.

If you did, send a copy of proof that you completed or are attending a program with your application. Proof can be your:

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Your proof must be in English or French. If it’s in another language, you must also send a certified English or French translation. The translation should show that the language of instruction of the program was English or French