+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application from abroad 2021

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
not only 1095 days, you have to meet RO
as a reference: remember the last bill, you should be 6 months inside Canada each year, so now it is implies you should meet RO.
As I told you, apply for citizenship, then share your expirience
good luck
Guide: Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002 - Canada.ca
Step 1 – Make sure you're eligible
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you:
  • must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada (it refers to you have to meet the RO)
  • must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
  • may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period
  • must demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply)
  • must demonstrate you have knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply—this is assessed after you apply)
  • can’t have any unfulfilled conditions related to their permanent resident status
  • can’t be under a removal order
  • can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
I left October 2019. I will update here when or if I find any more information. I may just get a friend in Canada to call them, it doesn't connect through from outside of Canada
in 2019, Citizenship process lasted 4-6 months, now, it lasts longer and you must meet all the presence requirements until you take the Oath.
good luck

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Oh I know you need to stay 730 days to renew it but I’m applying for my citizenship now and just hoping to get my application in sooner because I can’t get back to Canada until June for work
If I was in your shoes, I’d apply in June when I get to Canada to lessen any risk. Even if I agree there’s no requirement to be in Canada at the time of application.

We’re also seeing now anyway there’s no FIFO being observed with citizenship applications lol.

CiaraOD

Mar 13, 2013
not only 1095 days, you have to meet RO
as a reference: remember the last bill, you should be 6 months inside Canada each year, so now it is implies you should meet RO.
As I told you, apply for citizenship, then share your expirience
good luck
Guide: Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002 - Canada.ca
Step 1 – Make sure you're eligible
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you:
  • must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada (it refers to you have to meet the RO)
  • must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the 5 years immediately before you apply
  • may need to file personal income taxes for at least 3 years within the 5-year period
  • must demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply)
  • must demonstrate you have knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship (if you are between 18 and 54 years old when you apply—this is assessed after you apply)
  • can’t have any unfulfilled conditions related to their permanent resident status
  • can’t be under a removal order
  • can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds
What do you mean by meet RO? What is RO short for ? Sorry

CiaraOD

Mar 13, 2013
Residency Obligation
This has changed since 2017. The only requirement to CONTINUE your residency or renew it is to be 720 days in Canada. I only renewed mine in July 2019 and am now applying for Citizenship. I have until 2024 to work in Canada but would need to reenter and work for 2 years to renew my PR yes

CiaraOD

Mar 13, 2013
I called IRCC and the officer said you just need to meet the residency requirements until your application date, not until oath. They also said it's fine to apply from abroad but to leave a note on your paperwork and put the last date of entry as the date of the application so the calculator can count accurately how many days you have.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
I called IRCC and the officer said you just need to meet the residency requirements until your application date, not until oath. They also said it's fine to apply from abroad but to leave a note on your paperwork and put the last date of entry as the date of the application so the calculator can count accurately how many days you have.
bonne chance

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
If you are still confused about physical presence for citizenship during your eligibility period and maintaining your residency requirement for PR until you take your oath, sorry to say that you are heading straight to the wall. Like @Cassiano said BONNE CHANCE.

Reactions: carl321 and mpsqra

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16

Having heard from horse mouth, please dont be misguided that despite being abroad, one has to be physically living in Canada for 730 days out of 5 years period. If days are less than 730 days, not only PR status will be lost, but the citizenship application will be made redundant. Good luck

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
it would be interesting for you
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.
If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
  • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
Make sure your PR card won’t expire while you are outside Canada.
We usually only mail letters, notices and other documents to addresses in Canada. In some cases, you may receive an email from us. You must reply to these letters or emails within a specified amount of time. If you don’t reply within the time frame and don’t provide an acceptable reason for not being able to keep your appointment with us or providing requested information, we may stop processing your application.
You must attend appointments and other events at our offices, like your:
  • citizenship test (for applicants 18 to 54 years of age)
  • interview or hearing
  • ceremony
These events only take place in Canada. If you can’t attend the appointment or event, you must either e-mail or write to the local office that sent you the event notice. You can also use the online web form to contact us.

Reactions: keypad and adey786

CiaraOD

Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for the help. I am a PR since 2014. My latest PR card is from 2019 so expires July 2024 so therefor I am still a full resident and will be returning to Canada as soon as I can for work. I just wanted to send my Citizenship application away now to buy some time as I know this process could take up to a year so I would be technically doing my oath April 2022, and still have 2 years to keep my PR card active aswel. Does this make sense or am I still wrong?

CiaraOD

Mar 13, 2013
After the first 5 years as PR, your residency obligation for PR is counted on a rolling basis, or the last 5 years from the present date--it doesn't mean you are PR unconditionally until July 2024. You still have to meet RO to maintain it.
Where does it state you have to meet Residency obligation? I just talked to an immigration lawyer who confirmed that it's okay. I've been gone from Canada since 2019, I haven't been gone over 4 years. The obligation is to be here 2 of every 5 years and it doesn't matter if that's done 6 months of the year or gone for 3 and back for 2, as long as it's 2 of 5 years.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@CiaraOD . . . if you are likely to be returning to live in Canada within the year, it appears you will be OK. Whether you apply for citizenship sooner or later.

However, if you do return to Canada within the year, an application AFTER returning has better odds of smoothly going through the process, and doing so faster by enough to make waiting to apply then, after returning, the overall faster way to get to the oath. This is in significant part due to the higher risk of non-routine processing if you make the application while still abroad, which would likely slow down processing by many months if not an extra year or more.

Indeed, if you will be in Canada in June, it is almost a no-brainer to WAIT and apply after you are resettled back in Canada. A June 2021 application from within Canada is likely to result in taking the oath significantly sooner than an April application made while still abroad . . . and there is a substantial risk the latter could take a lot, lot longer.

The risks of living abroad while a citizenship application is pending are discussed in numerous topics here. The procedural risk for non-routine processing is probably even higher if the applicant was abroad at the time the application is made. If you are seriously considering proceeding with the application from abroad, you may want to read through some of those topics.

OTHERWISE . . . If you are not likely to actually resettle in Canada within this year, as others have tried to explain, there are other risks, and in particular it is not just important but critical that you spend enough time IN Canada to stay in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation . . . for however long it takes to process the application . . . and in particular you need to do that right up to the day you take the oath of citizenship (assuming the process goes well and is successful).

In any event . . . the following observations are offered mostly in the context of remaining outside Canada beyond this year. If you are definitely going to be in Canada by this summer, for example, SKIP the rest of this.

Thanks for the help. I am a PR since 2014. My latest PR card is from 2019 so expires July 2024 so therefor I am still a full resident and will be returning to Canada as soon as I can for work. I just wanted to send my Citizenship application away now to buy some time as I know this process could take up to a year so I would be technically doing my oath April 2022, and still have 2 years to keep my PR card active aswel. Does this make sense or am I still wrong?
You appear to still misunderstand a good deal about what others have offered and about information regarding the process itself.

CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION PROCESSING TIMELINE:

One big misunderstanding it appears you continue to have, just as one example, you state ". . . as I know this process could take up to a year so I would be technically doing my oath April 2022 . . ."

The process can take up to two, three, four, or more years. There is no requirement that IRCC complete processing citizenship applications within any particular time period. Prior to Covid-19 IRCC set a "standard," which appears to be what you are referencing. That standard is merely a target for completing 80% of applications within one year. Currently it appears, in the wake of Covid-19, that most applications are likely to take MORE than a year, and perhaps closer to if not MORE than TWO years. If you apply this month, April 2021, it is very difficult to forecast how long the process will take, but as things are currently, it readily appears the odds are you will NOT be scheduled for the oath by April 2022. Many might reasonably guess that you would be lucky to get scheduled for the oath by fall 2022.

There is also a much bigger caution looming in regards to the timeline: applicants living abroad while the application is pending have an increased risk of non-routine processing which will further delay the process . . . this includes an increased risk of RQ-related non-routine processing (meaning residency-questionnaire procedures, involving further scrutiny of the applicant's residency) which can cause very lengthy delays. Indeed, most of the applications which end up taking three or four or more years are "residency-cases," or "presence-cases," cases in which RQ, which is a "Residency Questionnaire," has been issued and IRCC is investigating the evidence which proves the applicant actually met the requirement. Not all applicants abroad will be subject to RQ but the odds of it are higher for such applicants and the consequences can include a delay in processing for YEARS.

In any event, you appear to be referencing the one-year service standard for processing citizenship applications, which unfortunately offers ZERO assurance the application will be completely processed within that period of time.

So, make no mistake, it could go longer. Probably will go longer. Leading to what many others here have attempted to help you understand about continuing to comply with the PR Residency Obligation. Yes, you need to continue to comply with the PR RO . . . right up to the day you take the oath.

It is not clear you understand what complying with the RO actually means.

Your query . . . .
Where does it state you have to meet Residency obligation? I just talked to an immigration lawyer who confirmed that it's okay. I've been gone from Canada since 2019, I haven't been gone over 4 years. The obligation is to be here 2 of every 5 years and it doesn't matter if that's done 6 months of the year or gone for 3 and back for 2, as long as it's 2 of 5 years.
Your compliance with the PR Residency Obligation (the RO) is based on how many days you have been IN Canada within the previous five years. The date you were issued a new PR card is NOT relevant. The date your PR card expires is NOT relevant.

Thus, for example, if you were to return to Canada tomorrow, April 15, 2021, and the border officials questioned you about your compliance with the RO, they would be counting how many days you have been IN Canada since April 15, 2016. As long as the total number of days IN Canada, as of tomorrow and since April 15, 2016, adds up to 730 or more, you are in compliance.

If you remain abroad and come to Canada later this year, say you arrive November 23, 2021, calculating your compliance will be based on whether you have been IN Canada at least 730 days since November 23, 2016.

It is the last five years that count. Only the last five years.

You have indicated you left Canada October 2019. If you were in Canada every day for the two years prior to the day you left in 2019, then your compliance with the RO is safe until October 2022. Thus, for example, if you do not actually return to Canada until September 29, 2022, what will matter is that the number of days you have been IN Canada between September 29, 2017 and September 29, 2022, adds up to at least 730.

But if that number is less than 730, you would be in BREACH of the RO and "inadmissible," and subject to being issued a Removal Order . . . and if you have not yet taken the oath of citizenship, that would mean you are NO LONGER eligible for a grant of citizenship and your application could be denied.

Again, it does not matter what date you were issued your current PR card or what date it expires.

I recognize you want citations to authority. I can give you some, and will, but frankly what I have just outlined, and as others have likewise explained, is probably easier to understand than sorting your way through the official sources (which do not directly address the situation in which a citizenship applicant is living abroad, let alone has applied from abroad).

So, for reference to sources and some further observations, see the next post.