+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application for Minor

Ashakumari

Jul 18, 2023
Hi

My minor daughter and I applied for our citizenship application on March 23. Our package was returned saying my application package is complete whereas my daughter's was returned for the following reason and comments :

You have not submitted two identification documents for the child.
CIC has attached a document list mentioning PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Government of Canada

If you choose to resubmit a complete application for a grant of citizenship, make sure you include :

• The completed application form on a version of the application from date October 2017 or later as indicated in the lower-left corner of the form
  • All the required documents are based on the document checklist of the form for the grant of citizenship ( CIT -0002 ) and the proof of payment
My question :

When I submitted my daughter's two-piece IDs with photographs viz - a copy of the biographical page of the passport page with photographs and a PR card copy why my application was returned with the above comments? It is not adequate the type IDs that I have submitted?

My daughter will turn 18 on 27th July 2023 ( another nine days ). I can still resubmit her application under minor as I can date it prior to 27th July 2023. In such a case, the application will be CIT -003 and the application checklist CIT 0008 ( 11-2020 ). Why is it that I have been advised to submit the document under CIT -002 which is for adults?

Grateful if someone can help me with the above.

Thanks and best regards.

Ashakumari

Last edited:

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
If you use the PR card as an ID document for a minor, the secondary ID must be a Canadian ID. So, her health card (best choice per chat boards) or school records count. Or anything with Name and Date of Birth. We submitted hospital records (with name and date of birth, which they did not accept).

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi

My minor daughter and I applied for our citizenship application on March 23. Our package was returned saying my application package is complete whereas my daughter's was returned for the following reason and comments :

You have not submitted two identification documents for the child.
CIC has attached a document list mentioning PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Government of Canada

If you choose to resubmit a complete application for a grant of citizenship, make sure you include :

• The completed application form on a version of the application from date October 2017 or later as indicated in the lower-left corner of the form
  • All the required documents are based on the document checklist of the form for the grant of citizenship ( CIT -0002 ) and the proof of payment
My question :

When I submitted my daughter's two-piece IDs with photographs viz - a copy of the biographical page of the passport page with photographs and a PR card copy why my application was returned with the above comments? It is not adequate the type IDs that I have submitted?

My daughter will turn 18 on 27th July 2023 ( another nine days ). I can still resubmit her application under minor as I can date it prior to 27th July 2023. In such a case, the application will be CIT -003 and the application checklist CIT 0008 ( 11-2020 ). Why is it that I have been advised to submit the document under CIT -002 which is for adults?

Grateful if someone can help me with the above.

Thanks and best regards.

Ashakumari
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-return-due-to-minor-identification.811130/post-10536185

Ashakumari

Jul 18, 2023
If you use the PR card as an ID document for a minor, the secondary ID must be a Canadian ID. So, her health card (best choice per chat boards) or school records count. Or anything with Name and Date of Birth. We submitted hospital records (with name and date of birth, which they did not accept).
Thanks for your advise....

binga777

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
I am filling it for my child too to apply for citizenship so if you select primary ID as foreign passport then you can use PR card as secondary ID as per the online form. I am going to do this and submit.
Don't do that...use healthcard and PR card.

• permanent resident card (PR card)
    • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am filling it for my child too to apply for citizenship so if you select primary ID as foreign passport then you can use PR card as secondary ID as per the online form. I am going to do this and submit.
Did you even read the post that I shared ? Guess not.
A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government
A point on this (although I believe your advice is correct), this information does not even make sense - 'the Canadian government' as used here means only the federal government, not provincial or territorial governments, nor municipal authorities - and of course health cards are issued by provincial authorities. They should really make this clear, I honestly did puzzle about it at first.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
I did read the post and I also filled the online application today. For the first ID you have 2 choices - PR card or passport. When you choose PR card then the second ID drop down mandates to become one that is issued by Canadian government. On the other hand, when you choose primary as passport, then secondary specialty says either Canadian or foreign govenmebt and the options presented are PR card, health card, birth certificate etc.

And this confirms the rejection message that is shared today on another post. And I have specifically seen the radio buttons come up with the options. So I think it needs careful reading.

The rejection happens when PR card is used as first ID wherein you cannot then use passport as second ID but reverse is true. See the wording above from IRCC

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Reverse the order of the documents and then you are in compliance - seems silly but the primary ID choice really dictates the document selection flow!

Reactions: armoured

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I did read the post and I also filled the online application today. For the first ID you have 2 choices - PR card or passport. When you choose PR card then the second ID drop down mandates to become one that is issued by Canadian government. On the other hand, when you choose primary as passport, then secondary specialty says either Canadian or foreign govenmebt and the options presented are PR card, health card, birth certificate etc.

And this confirms the rejection message that is shared today on another post. And I have specifically seen the radio buttons come up with the options. So I think it needs careful reading.

The rejection happens when PR card is used as first ID wherein you cannot then use passport as second ID but reverse is true. See the wording above from IRCC

When you become the chief of IRCC we will all look forward to you to change the rules. Till Then...