+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application - employment history

momrockies

Jan 25, 2020
Hello,

I have been thinking hard about our (my husband's and mine) citizenship application since we received a notice that they have started processing our application in September 16, 2019.

I reviewed our forms after receiving this notice and saw that in Question 11, Employment History, I did not include ALL of our employment history within the 5-year period. There were some part-times and a few full-time jobs that I failed to include. This is because I initially thought that all we needed to prove in that section is that there is no gap in our timeline/employment. For example, I only included 2 full time jobs for my husband's application, because those 2 jobs already shows "NO GAP" in timeline. Now, after talking to a couple of friends and co-workers and reading stuff online, should I have included ALL employment? Would this be a problem? Would it be interpreted as "misrepresentation? What else can I do to correct this? Can I send additional document with the list of ALL employment that we had/have?

Please advise. This makes me really worried. It was an honest comprehension mistake on my part.

Thank you!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hello,

I have been thinking hard about our (my husband's and mine) citizenship application since we received a notice that they have started processing our application in September 16, 2019.

I reviewed our forms after receiving this notice and saw that in Question 11, Employment History, I did not include ALL of our employment history within the 5-year period. There were some part-times and a few full-time jobs that I failed to include. This is because I initially thought that all we needed to prove in that section is that there is no gap in our timeline/employment. For example, I only included 2 full time jobs for my husband's application, because those 2 jobs already shows "NO GAP" in timeline. Now, after talking to a couple of friends and co-workers and reading stuff online, should I have included ALL employment? Would this be a problem? Would it be interpreted as "misrepresentation? What else can I do to correct this? Can I send additional document with the list of ALL employment that we had/have?

Please advise. This makes me really worried. It was an honest comprehension mistake on my part.

Thank you!
I would drop them a note via webform with the extra info as soon as you can.

As you say honest mistake, and they are all human but you want to tell them before (if) they find out and definitely before you take oath.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

Thank you!
In general terms I agree with the observations posted by @jc94

I suspect that more than a few who were fully employed at a primary job during the entire eligibility period omit some concurring part-time employment for brief periods of time. That is, many probably report their primary employment during a given time period and leave out secondary employment.

But this situation, omitting "a few full-time jobs," when the individual reports being employed full-time for the entire eligibility period, is a little unclear to me. It appears you are referencing occasions, time periods, when the applicant had at least two "full-time jobs" at the same time and reported only one of them in the employment history. This makes some sense if the reported employment was the applicant's primary employment and primary source of earned income, so that the omitted job was a lesser, secondary job. Similar to a small, part-time job on the side except that it is for full-time hours or something like that.

Otherwise it would be rather curious to report employment at less than full time and omit the primary, full-time employment the applicant had during a particular time period.

That is, I do not know all the facts. It is not clear to what extent the omissions might or might not be significant.

NOTE: Failing to Report Employment Outside Canada or Involving Activities Outside Canada Would Be More Problematic

There is no hint the situation reported here involves employment outside Canada or involved activities outside Canada. To omit this sort of employment could be a bigger deal. This is something to correct AND EXPLAIN sooner rather than later.

That is, unless the omitted employment in effect concealed employment outside Canada or travel outside Canada, my GUESS is that there would be no hint of any *misrepresentation* concerns. That said, as with any failure to properly and accurately reports the facts, of course the failure to report relevant facts can affect the decision-maker's impression of the applicant's credibility. The nature and extent of that would likely vary depending on the particular details.

For example, for an applicant who failed to report some secondary employment apart from his or her primary, full-time employment, and that secondary employment was otherwise consistent with all the other information the applicant truthfully reported, probably NO need to worry at all, and no need to risk confusing things but sending in a correction. Sufficient to wait until the test event interview and being prepared to then and there explain there was additional secondary employment, including details (name, location, contact information, and so on) if asked. There is little or nothing in this scenario which risks giving the impression of concealment.

In contrast, for example, if the applicant reports long-term employment, thus covering all the months, but during some of that time the applicant's primary full-time employment was with a different employer, there is a risk that will invite some questions, some concern.

In a bigger, more stark contrast, if the applicant had an employment relationship with an employer (especially family or friend) but could spend significant periods of time not actually physically working for that employer, and that is the employment reported in the job history, while the applicant was actually employed full-time elsewhere, that is quite likely to raise questions . . . especially if the unreported work involved activities outside Canada.

REMINDER RE OPEN SOURCE INFORMATION: Remember, the government has the same access to open source information as anyone. For example, one of the more frequently referenced sources where IRCC obtained information inconsistent with an applicant's employment history is LinkedIn. If an applicant's online information references employment the applicant is not reporting to IRCC, yeah, there is a chance IRCC might go looking and see that information. More than one applicant has been tripped up by information accessed on the Internet which indicated employment outside Canada the applicant did not report.

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
My question pertains to employment history in terms of points earned for arranged employment at the time of obtaining PR.
I obtained my PR in August 2017, and at that time I was an inland CEC applicant and had claimed 50 points for arranged employment, and my employer had given me a contract till the end of 2021. However, after completing my landing formalities and obtaining my PR card I changed my job and pursued other (better) opportunities within a couple of months. Would this cause an issue when I apply for my citizenship, as in was there an obligation to serve the employer for 1 year after the grant of the PR since I claimed the 50 points? Just to add that there was no such obligation set out in my employment contract. The only notice I had to provide them was a 2 month early termination notice which I did and served the notice period.

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
My question pertains to employment history in terms of points earned for arranged employment at the time of obtaining PR.
I obtained my PR in August 2017, and at that time I was an inland CEC applicant and had claimed 50 points for arranged employment, and my employer had given me a contract till the end of 2021. However, after completing my landing formalities and obtaining my PR card I changed my job and pursued other (better) opportunities within a couple of months. Would this cause an issue when I apply for my citizenship, as in was there an obligation to serve the employer for 1 year after the grant of the PR since I claimed the 50 points? Just to add that there was no such obligation set out in my employment contract. The only notice I had to provide them was a 2 month early termination notice which I did and served the notice period.
No it will not cause an issue.
Residency obligation(RO) is about you staying in Canada for 1095 days out of 5 years.
I am a CEC and have claimed the 50 points (but unlucky for me I did not get to change my job ☹)
Apart from your scenario there are others eg PNP applicants who have moved provinces w/o fulfilling their pnp obligation for better prospects. They have been successful in getting Citizenship without any hiccups

khushit

Nov 6, 2021
No it will not cause an issue.
Residency obligation(RO) is about you staying in Canada for 1095 days out of 5 years.
I am a CEC and have claimed the 50 points (but unlucky for me I did not get to change my job ☹)
Apart from your scenario there are others eg PNP applicants who have moved provinces w/o fulfilling their pnp obligation for better prospects. They have been successful in getting Citizenship without any hiccups
Thank you! I was concerned about this as we have to mention our employment history in the application form. I do fulfill the residency obligation - I have been in Canada for more than 1500 days as a PR now.