+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application eligibility - from an income tax filing perspective

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi experts,

I will complete 3 years of physical presence in Canada in March 2023.
Here are my tax filing in canada:
2017 - did not file (stayed only for 2 days)
2018 - did not file (did not visit canada)
2019 - did not file (stayed only for 2.5 months and no income in canada)
2020 - filed as non-resident (stayed for 11 months) (but under US-canada tax treaty (verified by CPA) - i was non resident of canada - and resident of US) - had US income
2021 - filed as resident
2022 - filed as resident (which i will in feb 2023)

Am I eligible for citizenship application - the main question here being, since I filed 2 years as resident and 1 year as non resident (does this count as 3 years)
should i wait one more year ? (i cannot change the residency - it's not my choice - but the treaty law)
How were you a non-resident if you lived in Canada for 11 months? You likely have H1B? How are you being paid. That makes a huge difference in terms of how you pay your taxes. Is your employer indicating that you live in the US? Do you drive across the border and work in the US daily. If you don’t drive across the border to work in the US is your employer aware that you work from Canada? Are you self-employed? Other pay,ent option?

Did you do your taxes of did a CPA who specializes in cross border taxes file them? If you lived in Canada for 11 months you were a resident and need to correct that. In terms of your US income there is a tax treaty which means you pay US taxes first and then the difference between Canadian tax rate minus US tax rate goes to Canada. You can still be a Canadian resisdent while working for a U.S. company.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
How were you a non-resident if you lived in Canada for 11 months? You likely have H1B? How are you being paid. That makes a huge difference in terms of how you pay your taxes. Is your employer indicating that you live in the US? Do you drive across the border and work in the US daily. If you don’t drive across the border to work in the US is your employer aware that you work from Canada? Are you self-employed? Other pay,ent option?

Did you do your taxes of did a CPA who specializes in cross border taxes file them? If you lived in Canada for 11 months you were a resident and need to correct that. In terms of your US income there is a tax treaty which means you pay US taxes first and then the difference between Canadian tax rate minus US tax rate goes to Canada. You can still be a Canadian resisdent while working for a U.S. company.
I think it is possible as between US Canada tiebreaker clause, substantial residential ties determine residency status. If he has primary home, family in US, he may be considered US resident. But I am not sure if non resident is right, most likely deemed resident.

Having said that, ircc is not responsible for decoding tax law and enforcement, that is gor cra to do. All they care about is tax filing which he seems to be in compliance.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi experts,

2020 - filed as non-resident (stayed for 11 months) (but under US-canada tax treaty (verified by CPA) - i was non resident of canada - and resident of US) - had US income
2021 - filed as resident

Am I eligible for citizenship application - the main question here being, since I filed 2 years as resident and 1 year as non resident (does this count as 3 years)
should i wait one more year ? (i cannot change the residency - it's not my choice - but the treaty law)
Income (or its source) is not the criterion for citizenship - physical presence in Canada is. So if you spent nights in Canada those will count towards your physical presence. Whether you were treated as resident of US for tax purposes is irrelevant in this case.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Here's the portion of text from IRCC tax filing requirements for citizenship. With this in mind, years you didn't file tax returns also count:-

Note: Ordinarily, meeting tax filing obligations (option 1) means that the applicant has filed tax returns, though there may be instances where they did not file in a given year because they were not required to do so under the Income Tax Act (e.g., they did not meet the minimum income threshold). If they have a SIN or alternate identifier and did not file taxes because they were not required to do so, they still meet the income tax filing requirement for citizenship.

dtr45

Dec 7, 2022
I think it is possible as between US Canada tiebreaker clause, substantial residential ties determine residency status. If he has primary home, family in US, he may be considered US resident. But I am not sure if non resident is right, most likely deemed resident.

Having said that, ircc is not responsible for decoding tax law and enforcement, that is gor cra to do. All they care about is tax filing which he seems to be in compliance.

Last edited:

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
You are certainly correct for a normal tax year - but we are speaking of 2020, when I was stuck in Canada due to travel restrictions. Yes, I had tie breaker rules with not even a driver license in Canada but, family, home, driver license all in US. The deemed resident 183 day rule was relaxed in Canada for 2020.
I think you should be good, as long as you are compliant with tax rules. Resident, non resident tax filing doesn't matter as long as you filed.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hi experts,

2021 - filed as resident

To be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship, you must have been physically present in Canada for at least three out of the Five years preceding your application and other stuff, but to be honest It does not matter whether you filed your taxes as a resident or a non-resident during that time.
Good luck