+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application as protected person and travel document

jonIrenicus

Jul 24, 2020
Hello all,

I have a bit of a minor but a specific question. I am a protected person and recently I applied for a travel document (RTD). With this application I submitted my home country passport as needed. Now, I learned that my passport will be sized by Passport Canada and won't be returned until it expires or I get Canadian citizenship since I can't have both the RTD and the home country passport at the same time.

I am also preparing to apply for citizenship in the coming weeks. In my 5 year eligibility period, I only had my home country passport (not travelled anywhere though). When the test date/interview of the citizenship process comes, I think I am expected to show the original of my passport, which will probably be held by Passport Canada.

My question is, Is that a hard requirement that I need to show the original or can I show a photocopy of it? If I can't show the original passport will the test/interview be rescheduled to a later date? Do you think I can get my passport from passport Canada just for this purpose or some kind of letter indicating the whereabouts of my passport so I can show it in the test date/interview? What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance!

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hello all,

I have a bit of a minor but a specific question. I am a protected person and recently I applied for a travel document (RTD). With this application I submitted my home country passport as needed. Now, I learned that my passport will be sized by Passport Canada and won't be returned until it expires or I get Canadian citizenship since I can't have both the RTD and the home country passport at the same time.

I am also preparing to apply for citizenship in the coming weeks. In my 5 year eligibility period, I only had my home country passport (not travelled anywhere though). When the test date/interview of the citizenship process comes, I think I am expected to show the original of my passport, which will probably be held by Passport Canada.

My question is, Is that a hard requirement that I need to show the original or can I show a photocopy of it? If I can't show the original passport will the test/interview be rescheduled to a later date? Do you think I can get my passport from passport Canada just for this purpose or some kind of letter indicating the whereabouts of my passport so I can show it in the test date/interview? What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance!
Hi,
When you apply just add a copy of that passport and a letter explaining that you won't be able to show an original of your passport as it wasn't returned to you by passport service in Gatineau when you applied for a RTD.IRCC can access it directly by contacting passport service in Gatineau. Or if your passport is expired you can ask passport service to return it to you.
Good luck!

Reactions: jonIrenicus