+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application - absence from Canada for more than 1 yr before 1977 ...

Maggie65

Oct 30, 2016
Hello all,

In reviewing the Application for Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship) form, I see that it asks if either you or you parents were absent from Canada for more than 1 year before 1977. I'm wondering if anyone knows the significance of this. Why is this being asked? Is it important in deciding if someone is a citizen or not?

I ask because when I was a toddler my parents moved the family from the States to Montreal for approximately a year. Both of my parents are deceased so I can't ask them if it was more or less than a year, and my siblings don't know for sure, but it appears we arrived in the early spring of one year, bought a house, and then sold the house the next May and moved back to the States either before or after the house sold. So honestly, it could have been less than a year, but it could have been slightly more. I assume there would a record of the exact dates somewhere with Customs when we all crossed the border and crossed back, but would have no way of knowing how to get that info.

Thanks for any assistance with this.