+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship App for minors Qs 9B

Ace2000

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Hello there,

I will be applying for the citizenship soon with my son:

1. I am little confused with the question 9B for my son's application for Canadian citizenship.

Has the child left Canada for a total of 6 months or longer since becoming a permanent resident?

My question is: Are they asking for the particular period when my son was away for 6 months or longer at a stretch? or summing up all his trips away from Canada since becoming a permanent resident?

If I am entering all the absence since becoming a PR its coming to around 1095 days but if we look at the last 5 years, he is okay (with 720 days absence in last 5 years) and fulfilling his PR obligation.

Minors also don' need to attach the Physical Presence calculator (Pl. confirm), how will they know that he is eligible to apply for citizenship ?

Please advise should I mention only the period he was away for more than 6 months or all the absences since becoming a PR.

2. Also I will be applying when my son is approx 25 days from his 18th birthday (17 years and 11 months approx) Is it okay to fill-out the minor application and pay the fee for minors. {I will save around $550 in Fee :) }

Thank you and regards.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Hello there,

I will be applying for the citizenship soon with my son:

1. I am little confused with the question 9B for my son's application for Canadian citizenship.

Has the child left Canada for a total of 6 months or longer since becoming a permanent resident?

My question is: Are they asking for the particular period when my son was away for 6 months or longer at a stretch? or summing up all his trips away from Canada since becoming a permanent resident?

If I am entering all the absence since becoming a PR its coming to around 1095 days but if we look at the last 5 years, he is okay (with 720 days absence in last 5 years) and fulfilling his PR obligation.

Minors also don' need to attach the Physical Presence calculator (Pl. confirm), how will they know that he is eligible to apply for citizenship ?

Please advise should I mention only the period he was away for more than 6 months or all the absences since becoming a PR.

2. Also I will be applying when my son is approx 25 days from his 18th birthday (17 years and 11 months approx) Is it okay to fill-out the minor application and pay the fee for minors. {I will save around $550 in Fee :) }

Thank you and regards.
Minors don’t need to meet the 1095 days residency requirement. However, minor must not have had any residency violation too. Your son will be fine, I think you can even apply for him now.

As long as the application is signed and has reached the IRCC before his 18th birthday, he will be fine as a minor.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Minors don’t need to meet the 1095 days residency requirement. However, minor must not have had any residency violation too. Your son will be fine, I think you can even apply for him now.

As long as the application is signed and has reached the IRCC before his 18th birthday, he will be fine as a minor.

does the kid has to be inside Canada during the Cititzenship application process ( giving he/she have valid PR )

how long does the process take?

Ace2000

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Thank you for the reply @k300k3

Could you or any one please also advise regarding my first part of the question:

1. In the application for minors Qs 9B: Do I have to enter only the absence which is more than 6 months or all since becoming a PR (6 years ago) ?
2. Also, as one of our absence was more than 6 months in the last 4 years, we need to provide a Police certificate ( Absence was from Aug 2014 to March 2017), Is this the time frame we need to obtain Police certificate or from Aug 2014 till present date? (The reason I am asking this is because the application form to obtain the Police certificate is asking for a certain period you reside in that city and you need police clearance for ? ( From: date,--- To:---)

Please advise!!

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
does the kid has to be inside Canada during the Cititzenship application process ( giving he/she have valid PR )

how long does the process take?
Yes the kid needs to be inside Canada. Otherwise, your kid cannot apply. I tried for my daughter but she was going to school in the US at that time . That’s what call Center supervisor told me

Reactions: Yorker13

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Thank you for the reply @k300k3

Could you or any one please also advise regarding my first part of the question:

1. In the application for minors Qs 9B: Do I have to enter only the absence which is more than 6 months or all since becoming a PR (6 years ago) ?
2. Also, as one of our absence was more than 6 months in the last 4 years, we need to provide a Police certificate ( Absence was from Aug 2014 to March 2017), Is this the time frame we need to obtain Police certificate or from Aug 2014 till present date? (The reason I am asking this is because the application form to obtain the Police certificate is asking for a certain period you reside in that city and you need police clearance for ? ( From: date,--- To:---)

Please advise!!
Police certificate is needed if your minor child is 14 or older abc was out of Canada for more than 6 months in the 4 years prior to signing the application.

Yes you need to list all absences. Not just the absence of 6 months or more.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Yes the kid needs to be inside Canada. Otherwise, your kid cannot apply. I tried for my daughter but she was going to school in the US at that time . That’s what call Center supervisor told me
but i dont see that condition in the eligibility requirements under 5(2)

do u know how long the process will take?

thx

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
but i dont see that condition in the eligibility requirements under 5(2)

do u know how long the process will take?

thx
All citizenship applications must be submitted while the applicant is in Canada. After submitting, then the applicant can leave .

I don’t know exactly how long. But if the minor is under 14, the application will be processed in Sydney and then the citizenship certificate will be mailed out to the minor’s address in Canada. If minor is over 14, the application will be transferred to nearest local office and then the oath ceremony will be scheduled for minor over 14 to attend.

Reactions: Yorker13

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
All citizenship applications must be submitted while the applicant is in Canada. After submitting, then the applicant can leave .

I don’t know exactly how long. But if the minor is under 14, the application will be processed in Sydney and then the citizenship certificate will be mailed out to the minor’s address in Canada. If minor is over 14, the application will be transferred to nearest local office and then the oath ceremony will be scheduled for minor over 14 to attend.
My kids are 7,6 and 5.

i will take oath and do citizenship cermony in 2 weeks ,GOD willing.

i am sponsoring my family at the moment,

as soon as i become a citizen and my kids got PR,
i will apply for their citizenship as well.

but i cant find the part where it says ,they have to be in Canada?

check here plz

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/minors.html

Ace2000

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Police certificate is needed if your minor child is 14 or older abc was out of Canada for more than 6 months in the 4 years prior to signing the application.

Yes you need to list all absences. Not just the absence of 6 months or more.
Thank you for your reply @k300k3

Could you please also advise on the time frame for the Police certificate:

"Also, as one of our absence was more than 6 months in the last 4 years, we need to provide a Police certificate ( Absence was from Aug 2014 to March 2017):
Is this the time frame we need to obtain Police certificate or from Aug 2014 till present date? (The reason I am asking this is because the application form to obtain the Police certificate is asking for a certain period you reside in that city and you need police clearance for ? ( From: date,--- To:--- )

Regards.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
My kids are 7,6 and 5.

i will take oath and do citizenship cermony in 2 weeks ,GOD willing.

i am sponsoring my family at the moment,

as soon as i become a citizen and my kids got PR,
i will apply for their citizenship as well.

but i cant find the part where it says ,they have to be in Canada?

check here plz

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/minors.html
It says, “you can leave Canada after we receive your application”. It applies to all adults and minors in general, I suppose. Also when I called the call Center, that’s what they told me.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Thank you for your reply @k300k3

Could you please also advise on the time frame for the Police certificate:

"Also, as one of our absence was more than 6 months in the last 4 years, we need to provide a Police certificate ( Absence was from Aug 2014 to March 2017):
Is this the time frame we need to obtain Police certificate or from Aug 2014 till present date? (The reason I am asking this is because the application form to obtain the Police certificate is asking for a certain period you reside in that city and you need police clearance for ? ( From: date,--- To:--- )

Regards.
Sorry it was my mistake. Police certificate is needed only when your dependant child is 18 or older. Your child will have to attend only oath ceremony if s/he is over 14.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/about.html#who

Ladymarie

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Hi everyone, please I need your help around police certificate for my kid. He spent 250 days outside Canada after landing as PR. For most of the 250 days away, he was under 14yrs. After he turned 14, he spent only 95days before returning to Canada fully. Would he need to provide a police certificate? Thanks for all your feedbacks!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi everyone, please I need your help around police certificate for my kid. He spent 250 days outside Canada after landing as PR. For most of the 250 days away, he was under 14yrs. After he turned 14, he spent only 95days before returning to Canada fully. Would he need to provide a police certificate? Thanks for all your feedbacks!
I believe minors don't require police certificate.

Reactions: Ladymarie