+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and PR

alexsteward

Star Member
Sep 21, 2008
we were sponsored by my son to be a PR under the parents caregiver program. I am now eligible for Citizenship while my wife is not eligible yet and she will be eligible in 2020. can i send my form for citizenship now or do i need to wait when my wife becomes eligible and send together ?
if i become a Canadian citizen than what will my wife's status be ? will her PR gets cancelled ?
can she renew her PR status when it expires ? or she can not renew her PR as i will be Citizen by the time she renews her PR?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
1." can i send my form for citizenship now or do i need to wait when my wife becomes eligible and send together ?"
Yes certainly, you can apply by yourself if you're eligible, providing she won't send you to the doghouse or make you sleep on the couch until 2020 ;)

2. "if i become a Canadian citizen than what will my wife's status be ? will her PR gets cancelled ?"
Your wife will remain a PR. Her status cannot get canceled because you become a citizen.

3. "can she renew her PR status when it expires ? or she can not renew her PR as i will be Citizen by the time she renews her PR?"
PR is a status which does not expire (it's permanent). Only the card expires. So, she can renew her card (if she needs to travel).

Reactions: qorax