+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship after C-6 Bill

AJSP

Aug 24, 2016
Did she use your last name on her passport?
I saw this on the website

If you have legally changed your name outside Canada and are residing in Canada
Then you must provide a copy of the following documents:

• A foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation amended to reflect the new name;
  • A foreign name change document that links your previous name to your new name, such as a foreign marriage certificate (with an official translation); and
  • A document in the new name from Canadian provinces or territories (ex. driver's licence, health card, age of majority card, senior citizen’s identification card, or social service card)

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Did she use your last name on her passport?
Yes she did , in the application form there is a question about names. Put your birth name and your married name there. They will see that you are using your married name too. I remember she also called IRCC for advice on what to do. They basically said if her name on the pr card is her birth name that is what they are going to put on her citizenship certificate. Also advise her to send a copy of our married certificate.

AJSP

Aug 24, 2016
Yes she did , in the application form there is a question about names. Put your birth name and your married name there. They will see that you are using your married name too. I remember she also called IRCC for advice on what to do. They basically said if her name on the pr card is her birth name that is what they are going to put on her citizenship certificate. Also advise her to send a copy of our married certificate.
So, I still need to renew my passport with my married name? Coz my passport and pr is on my birth name.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I saw this on the website

If you have legally changed your name outside Canada and are residing in Canada
Then you must provide a copy of the following documents:

• A foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation amended to reflect the new name;
  • A foreign name change document that links your previous name to your new name, such as a foreign marriage certificate (with an official translation); and
  • A document in the new name from Canadian provinces or territories (ex. driver's licence, health card, age of majority card, senior citizen’s identification card, or social service card)
[/QUO

My wife and I saw that too, that is why she decided to call IRCC. Marriage is not really considered as a legal change of name.

AJSP

Aug 24, 2016
So, I still need to renew my passport with my married name? Coz my passport and pr is on my birth name.
1 of the requirement is a foreign passport with a new name?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Did you have a look on the application form ? There is a question about as on your pr card and if you have use a different name
No, you do not have to. Her passport has my name before we moved to Canada once here she decided to use her name on the rest of the immigration paper. Pr card (we apply for pr inland), health care card, and drivers' license without doing any change of name on her passport first. She did not have any issue as marriage is not considered as a legal change of name. Did you have a look at the application form yet?

AJSP

Aug 24, 2016
Did you have a look on the application form ? There is a question about as on your pr card and if you have use a different name

No, you do not have to. Her passport has my name before we moved to Canada once here she decided to use her name on the rest of the immigration paper. Pr card (we apply for pr inland), health care card, and drivers' license without doing any change of name on her passport first. She did not have any issue as marriage is not considered as a legal change of name. Did you have a look at the application form yet?
Okay thank you. Yes, I saw the application, I am just confused.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
1 of the requirement is a foreign passport with a new name?
if you want your marriage na
Can I submit my diploma from the philippines for the proof of language skills?
If it's done in english and the diploma is in english yes you can.