+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenhip Application Refused

mama800

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Hi All,

I got a letter after my interview with a citizenship judge that my application was refused due to fewer residence requirement.

At this point can i withdraw my application so it doesn't go to a federal judge/court and reapply.

I know am eligible to reapply and do meet the physical presence requirement this time. But, my question is can I withdraw my previous application on order to get a refund for the right of citizenship fee which i can use for this new application or has my application been closed since i got a letter of refusal from the citizenship judge.

canadaislife

Star Member
Oct 15, 2017
Hi All,

I got a letter after my interview with a citizenship judge that my application was refused due to fewer residence requirement.

At this point can i withdraw my application so it doesn't go to a federal judge/court and reapply.

I know am eligible to reapply and do meet the physical presence requirement this time. But, my question is can I withdraw my previous application on order to get a refund for the right of citizenship fee which i can use for this new application or has my application been closed since i got a letter of refusal from the citizenship judge.
From what I have read, you only get refunded the $100 portion that belongs to the "Right to Citizenship" fee. The other portion ($530) relates to the processing fee, which is forfeited since the application was in fact processed and you were found to be ineligible.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Hi All,

If judge has refused it means your application has been closed with negative decision and you will not get any refund from IRCC unless you are going to federal court to appeal the decision.

I voluntarily withdraw my citizenship application in 2012 and my case was not with judge but didn't got any refund.

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
If judge has refused it means your application has been closed with negative decision and you will not get any refund from IRCC unless you are going to federal court to appeal the decision.

I voluntarily withdraw my citizenship application in 2012 and my case was not with judge but didn't got any refund.
Why did you withdraw your citizenship application and at what stage? Did you have a lot of travels?

Have you since then reapplied? How has the experience been regarding reapplication?

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Why did you withdraw your citizenship application and at what stage? Did you have a lot of travels?

Have you since then reapplied? How has the experience been regarding reapplication?
Yes lot of work and tourist visa stamps my 3 passport were full with stamps from all over the world and due to that I did miscalculations in residency days also.

As usual in 2011 after test and interview officer issued me RQ and I collected all requested documents and sent to ICC but in 2012 I went to lawyer and he advise me to withdraw my Citizenship grant application and as well as my PR renewal application also, so i withdraw both applications.

After stay more than 3 years in Canada I applied for PR renewal and my application gone to secondary review after waiting 18 months they send me my new PR card

Again after 1482 days in Canada, June 2016 I reapplied for Citizenship and 27th of this month I got Oath invitation.

Hope this information will help you.

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
Yes lot of work and tourist visa stamps my 3 passport were full with stamps from all over the world and due to that I did miscalculations in residency days also.

As usual in 2011 after test and interview officer issued me RQ and I collected all requested documents and sent to ICC but in 2012 I went to lawyer and he advise me to withdraw my Citizenship grant application and as well as my PR renewal application also, so i withdraw both applications.

After stay more than 3 years in Canada I applied for PR renewal and my application gone to secondary review after waiting 18 months they send me my new PR card

Again after 1482 days in Canada, June 2016 I reapplied for Citizenship and 27th of this month I got Oath invitation.

Hope this information will help you.
Yes, it certainly does. Thank you for sharing. You seem like you have been through a lot. I can't believe they made you wait for 18 months for PRC renewal. Did they ask for any documents?

Also, did you use a lawyer to reapply for citizenship? How was your travel and visas like , during reapplication? Were you still travelling or did you curtail it. (That is, during your relevant period which you counted towards your citizenship application)

Many thanks for helping me, and congratulations on finally becoming a citizen. You certainly deserved it !

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Yes, it certainly does. Thank you for sharing. You seem like you have been through a lot. I can't believe they made you wait for 18 months for PRC renewal. Did they ask for any documents?

Also, did you use a lawyer to reapply for citizenship? How was your travel and visas like , during reapplication? Were you still travelling or did you curtail it. (That is, during your relevant period which you counted towards your citizenship application)

Many thanks for helping me, and congratulations on finally becoming a citizen. You certainly deserved it !
They didn't ask me any documents for both applications.

I took only advise from the top most lawyer but to apply through that firm was very expensive that's why I applied myself.

During reapplication yes I travel 3 times one time for one month and second and third time for few days only.